Author Topic: Searching for my grandad  (Read 9494 times)

Offline Angiex1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for my grandad
« on: Saturday 17 November 12 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi am searching for my grandads family, I know my grandad was born in Shannon Harbour in County Offaly on 28/7/1916 there is no birth certificate for him. He was one of 13 children.

His name is Michael Nevin and his parents were Mary and James Nevin we have no more information on them

Have looked through the census for 1901 and 1911 and cannot find any more information on his parents or him

He came to Liverpool at the age of 17 so 1933, he met my grandma  her name was Nora Nevin nee Miller in either liverpool when she visited there or Manchester and they married in 1945, lived in hulme, moss side, flixton,  manchester

he was a merchant seaman in the second world war on the arctic crossings I have no more information on  that and have tried to search on the imperial war museum norths website but cannot find any information,

If anyone can point me in the right direction to search would be really grateful

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my grandad
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 12 17:19 GMT (UK) »
His name is Michael Nevin and his parents were Mary and James Nevin we have no more information on them
my grandma  her name was Nora Nevin nee Miller in either liverpool when she visited there or Manchester and they married in 1945, lived in hulme, moss side, flixton,  manchester

do you have an occupation for James from Michael's marriage cert ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Angiex1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 12 17:23 GMT (UK) »
No we dont and dont have the exact date of his marraige or a copy of the certificate my grandad never mentioned his parents at all he never spoke about them for some unknown reason and rarely if ever spoke about his past or the second world war it affected him badly and I think his upbringing did though that is just what have gathered with his refusal to talk about it

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 12 17:31 GMT (UK) »
might be worth starting with the marriage cert to confirm the details you have.

Assuming your Nevin family didn't move around too much, i.e. were in Co. Offaly in 1911, then there are two possibilities on the census that might be worth checking out :

Nevin household - Carrigeen townland

Nevin household - Main Street, Bannagher

Shannonbridge is on the river Shannon, and very close to counties Galway and Roscommon, so it's possible that the family lived in one of these...

I'll have a look for the marriage on FreeBMD...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Angiex1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 November 12 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I cant see that it would be them my grandad would of been born before the 1911 census and after the 1901 but came over to the uk at the age of 17 in 1933, he was born in 1916 and at shannon harbour or is that the same as shannon bridge ?

Offline Angiex1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 November 12 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I know some of the names of his siblings they were sister patricia, sister margaret and sister lena he is one of 13 and apart from him and these we dont know the other names.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 November 12 17:37 GMT (UK) »
likely marriage for Michael :

Quarter/Year : Mar 1945
  Registration District : Manchester
  Volume : 8b / Page : 668
  Names : Michael Nevin & Nora Miller

You can use these references to order a cert from GRO UK, these cost just over £9. See : Certs OnLine

p.s. do you know of any siblings for Michael ?

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 November 12 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I cant see that it would be them my grandad would of been born before the 1911 census and after the 1901 but came over to the uk at the age of 17 in 1933, he was born in 1916 and at shannon harbour or is that the same as shannon bridge ?

Since Michael was born in 1916 I wouldn't expect to see him on either census, but one of those two returns might possibly be his parents and older siblings... but I think you need a little more detail .e.g. father's occupation to see if either of these are possible

Shannonbridge was a typo by me - the two locations are quite close

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 November 12 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I know some of the names of his siblings they were sister patricia, sister margaret and sister lena he is one of 13 and apart from him and these we dont know the other names.

Do you know if these sisters might have been older or younger than Michael ?

S.
My Surname Interests