Author Topic: James McKellar look up please  (Read 14357 times)

Offline JimMcL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James McKellar look up please
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 December 13 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alexandra

Here is the full article.

A most melancholy accident occurred at Port Glasgow on Friday week. A daughter of Mr John McKellar, steamboat Officer, who for some time had been living in Glasgow, came down about the beginning of last week to visit her parents in Port Glasgow, accompanied by two of the children, a brother and sister of the friend with whom she had been lately residing. In the afternoon of the above day, they, along with two other daughters of Mr McKellar, went to take a walk to Newark Castle, and as they were engaged in amusing themselves about the shore, the little boy went into the water to bathe, but had only proceeded a few steps when he had lost his footing, the place where he had chosen being dangerous for bathing as the channel runs close by the shore. Immediately on observing the perilous situation of the boy, the eldest girl who was about 15 years of age, threw aside all fear and magnanimously rushed into the water, to effect, if possible, his deliverance. She caught hold of him but just at this critical moment when the object of her solicitude was nearly rescued, his weight overbalanced her, and she was drawn into deep water, and both were carried down by the rapid current, and sank clasped in each others arms. Another young witness of this trying scene was just about to jump in, but was prevented by a woman who was near, and who on learning what had happened hastened to the spot.

Glasgow Angus

Rereported Bucks Herald 4/8/1838.

Jim

Offline JimMcL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 December 13 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alexandra

This is a snippet from the Worcestershire Chronicle of 9/8/1838

... one of the steamers was passing. The surge from the paddles of the steamer carried him beyond soundings, when a girl named M'Kellar, fifteen years of age, seeing the ...

Jim

Offline Speersline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 December 13 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I started to reply and the message disappeared.  I cannot find it so apologize if a partial answer appears.
Thank you for posting the article.  Without a first name given ):  it is hard to know for certain if this is the one. As the information matches with the family story it might.  Will have to figure a way to cross check.  In the memoir Arthur mentions  there was a poem about this drowning as a well as one about the loss of ferryman John hanging on the wall in the family house.  Have not yet located these.
I see your second post. Thank you so much for sharing.  This will keep me quite busy for awhile.
Alexandra

Offline DougFG

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 May 19 06:33 BST (UK) »
Found this old post (Saturday 28 December 13 11:17 GMT (UK)) and am interested to know if you have any source information for this entry: John McKellar b. 22/2/1828 bap 9/3/1828 Inverkip. Parents Archibald McKellar and Mary Crawford.

Thanks, Doug

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 May 19 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Doug

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

John MCKELLAR
Parents ARCHIBALD MCKELLAR/MARY CRAWFORD
09/03/1828
Ref 567/20 25
Inverkip

This entry shows on the Old Parish Registers. You can view the original image from the register on the official pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline denisefm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 October 23 04:00 BST (UK) »
JimMcL

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 20:49 GMT (UK) »

Hello Jim
This is the thread I should have used to ask my question re Duncan McKellar.  The information that you have included, especially the list of newspaper clippings and wills, has confirmed much of what we have found in our own research.  Thank you for sharing that list which has given us more information.

Capt Duncan McKellar (1791-1875) was the brother of my 3xgreat grandfather, Alexander McKellar.  Duncan had a son, also Alexander and another shipmaster, who died onboard the Juno in 1863.  Another son, Duncan, a steamboat engineer, drowned by falling into the sea at Millport while stepping from the quay on board the steamer Lady Brisbane of Glasgow. Underwater 12 hours.

In Reply #8 you have a section headed "The McKellar shipping company was founded by Duncan McKellar". In this article, you mention that Duncan took part in the Walcherin Expedition and the Peninsular War.  A book titled 'Echoes of Old Clyde Paddle-wheels also states that Duncan McKellar had served in the Army.

I am interested to know how I can access that information as there may be more information of interest.   In addition to my interest in Duncan, we have other family members who were reputed to be in the army about the same time but I have not been able to find where to verify this.

You also mention that he 'engaged in a few activities' after he resigned from the army which explains why he gave the occupation of weaver when he married Mary Ross in 1817.
Thanks
Dee