Author Topic: Meath Park, Aghadowey  (Read 12104 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meath Park, Aghadowey
« on: Monday 19 November 12 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I have come across a marriage of a Maria Horner to a Mr. James Wilson of Meath Park Aghadowey. The marriage took place late 1700s/early 1800s. I can see Meath Park on an Ordnance Survey map just north of Aghadowey but what is Meath Park?

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Meath Park, Aghadowey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 November 12 12:01 GMT (UK) »
This is an easy one  :)

Meath Park is the name of a large house in the townland of Ballybrittain and is on the present-day Lisnamuck Road.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 November 12 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Thanks Aghadowey, that would make sense.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure about the marriage date?

James Wilson married Maria(h) Horner and the earliest baptism I have is for their son John Horner Wilson (18 June 1832 Macosquin Presbyterian Church). Mariah Horner was the daughter of Rev. James Horner who died 1842.

Have more on both Wilsons and Horners if you are looking for anything in particular.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 November 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey,
                           I am looking into this as the Rev. James Horner was married to Maria Murrell/Morell and she is distantly related to me being the sister of my 4xGgrandfather.
     Using the Bann Valley site I have found the burial of John Horner Wilson and his brother William Sydney Albert Wilson in Aghadowey Presbyterian Church. I also have what I think is a family marriage of Christina Isabella Wilson to Alexander Cochrane in Aghadowey Presbyterian Church on
10 Sept 1858. I would be grateful if you can supply any other names of children of the Rev. James and Maria.
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 November 12 14:44 GMT (UK) »
In no particular order...

Macosquin Presbyterian Church baptisms:
June 18th 1832, John Horner Wilson, James (dec.) + Mariah, Meathpark
June 18th 1834, James Wilson, James + Mariah, Meathpark
July 6th 1836, Henry Charles Inglis Wilson (dead), James + Mariah, Meathpark
July 10th 1837, Christina Wilson, James + Mariah, Meathpark
Aug. 27th 1839, Henry Horner Wilson, James + Mariah, Meath Park

Coleraine Chronicle, 4 July 1846: DIED- On Sunday last at his residence, Meath Park, in this county, in the 53rd year of his age, James Wilson, Esq.

Headstone inscription on Bann Valley site is NOT accurate. It actually reads: In loving memory of John Horner Wilson Meathpark who died 25th April 1867. Also his brother Wm. Sidney Albert who died 26th June 1888.

Macosquin Church of Ireland: In memory of James Wilson of Meathpark died 1845 aged 60 years and his wife Maria Morelle.

Ironmongers' Note on Tenants (1863): Collins [townland]- Mrs. Maria Wilson Meath Park. This lady has a grand air. We call her the Tragedy Queen. She wanted to borrow money to repair the mill, which we declined.
Ironmongers' Tenants List (1886): Collins- Wm. Sydney Albert Wilson.

Will I post details of Mariah's children?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 12 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Aghadowey, the information is great and has added to my tree but I think that I have enough of this line. Thanks again.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline wowowuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 16:38 BST (UK) »
The following may be of interest.  I am descended from John Wilson Senior and his daughter Mary Jane Wilson who married Rev Henry Haslett.  I am also collaterally related to the wife of his son James (Maria Horner) through her grandfather James "Big Jacques" Morell.

Any additional dates or comments would be appreciated.  This is my very first posting on any genealogical site so apologies if I am a bit slow to respond!

1b. John Wilson, of Meath Park, Aghadowey, linen-bleacher.   As an enthusiastic supporter of American Independence John Wilson contributed the large sum of £100 to assist the French Revolution. 
   1c.  John Wilson of Drumcroon, m. Matilda Brett, Belfast,
      daughter of a lawyer.
      xd.  John Wilson et al.
   2c.  Mr. Wilson of Killeague, m.Eliza, daughter of Dean Carlton.
      1d.  Sarah Wilson.
      2d.  Eliza Wilson, m. Tom BRYCE.
         xe.  Fanny Bryce et al. (Canada).

Tom Bryce had two brothers, one of whom was headmaster of Edinburgh Private Boys' School; the other, Rt. Hon. James Bryce, D.C.L.,M.P., b. 1838, was the author of books on American History, British Ambassador to U.S.A., Under-secretary of State for Foreign Affairs in Gladstone's Government and a Cabinet Minister in Lord Rosebery's Government.

3d.  Frances Wilson, m. Gerald FITZGERALD, lawyer and Mayor of Limerick.
      4d.  Samuel Wilson, died young.
   3c.  James Wilson of Meath Park, m. Maria Horner,
      xd.  children recorded in Morell Tree.
   4c.  Mary Jane Wilson, m. (1817) the Rev. Henry  HASLETT, of Castlereagh. 
      xd.  children recorded in Haslett Tree.
   5c.  Ann Wilson, m. Dr. HOUSTON of Macosquin, Aghadowey.
      No issue.                                 

Offline wowowuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 18:01 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Samuel Morell of Ballyquin and his granddaughter Alice Morell who married William Haslett of Lower Drumneecy, father inter alia of Rev Henry Haslett of Castlereagh.

Another of Samuel's granddaughters (daughter of an un-named daughter and Rev James Horner) was Maria Horner who married James Wilson of Meath Park.

Any dates or further information would be much appreciated.  The children of James Wilson and Maria Horner include Maria Louisa (married to William Rankin of New Park) who is not amongst the baptisms at Macosquin.  Is New Park another house in Aghadowen?

1.   Samuel Morell of Ballyquin, N. Ireland.  He acquired the estate in 1700. m. --.
     1a.  James ("Big Jacques") Morell -- note the French nickname -- of Ballyquin, m. (1721) Margaret Torrance.
        1b.  John Morell of Ballyquin, linen merchant.
           1c.  Maria Morell, m. Henry HASLETT of Upper Drumneecy (1806-86)
              xd.  Children recorded for Upper Drumneecy    Hasletts.
            2c.  The Rev. James Morell (1773-1831) of Ballybay, Monaghan, m. Laetitia Harris of Ballybay, d.1841.
              1d.  The Rev. Charles Lucas Morell,Dungannon, Commissioner for National Education. (1820-96) m. (1848) Ann Browne, Donaghmore.
               1e.  Rev. Charles Lucas Morell 2nd, (1854-1932).
               2e.  Son, b. 1859.
              2d.  The Rev. John Harris Morell, 2nd Ballybay Presbyterian Church, (1810-88) m(1) Mary Montgomery Russel, m(2) Hester Dickson.
               1e.  daughter, b. 1843.
               2e.  daughter, b. 1846.
               3e.  Rev. James Morell (1849-1914)
               m(1) Miss Moorehead,m(2) Miss McClean, m(3) Miss Black [(1) and (3) were the daughters of fellow clergymen].
               4e.  Hessie Maria Morell.
              3d.  Eliza Morell, d. 1837 in Ballybay.
      3c.  Eliza Morell, Ballyquin, (1785-1850).
      4c.  Ally Morell.   
      5c.  Hugh Morell of Ballyquin.
      6c.  John Morell
      7c.  Henry Morell (1796-1856).
      8c.  Jane Morell, Mrs. LYND.
        2b.  The Rev. Samuel Morell, ordained in 1770 at Tullylish. He campaigned vehemently against "fairy rings" as evidence of pagan superstition.  In 1772 he was killed by "Hearts of Steel" agrarian   terrorists.             

In 1772, Richard Johnston, J.P., of Gilford Castle, near Bannbridge, accompanied by his friend the Rev. Samuel Morell of Tullylish, raised a "sheriff's posse" and arrested some of the ringleaders of the "Hearts of Steel", and sent them to Dublin for trial.  The terrorists were recruited from tenant farmers, mainly Presbyterian, who had been provoked by exorbitant increases in rent.  In retaliation for the arrests, terrorists (estimated at two thousand!) laid siege to Gilford Castle, which was defended by Mr. Johnston, Mr. Morell and about twenty-five of the posse.  After two hours the Rev. S. Morell was shot in the chest and fell out of the window.  He was killed by a further fusillade.  Richard Johnston,   with minor head injuries, escaped by a back door and rode off to get military help.  The rest of the garrison surrendered and the castle was sacked.  Frightened by the bloodshed, the terrorists released their captives and "melted away", never to be heard of again.  The Government in Dublin approved of Mr. Johnston's actions and granted him a baronetcy, a pension of £800, and a seat in Parliament!  In turn, he erected a large memorial tablet to the Rev. Samuel in Tullylish Presbyterian Church.  But a Dublin jury took a different view; they acquitted on all charges the "Hearts of Steel" ringleaders whom he had arrested.

3b.  Daughter, m. the Rev. Dr. James HORNER (ordained 1799 at Ballybay) of Mary's Abbey, Dublin.  "Horner" subsequently became a favourite Christian name among Hasletts, both in Ulster and in New Zealand.
        1c.  Maria Horner, m. James WILSON of Meath Park, Aghadowey (whose sister, Mary Jane Wilson, m.The Rev. Henry Haslett of Castlereagh.
           1d.  Christine Wilson, m. Dr. COCHRANE of Brooklyn.
            xe.  children (in U.S.A.).
           2d.  Maria Louisa Wilson, m.William RANKIN, New Park.
            1e.  Louie Rankin, m. Hugh Rankin MORRISON of Meath Park (son of Dr. H.S.Morrison, J.P.,  of Aghadowey.
            2e.  Eva Rankin
           3d.  Dr. James Horner Wilson, U.S. Navy.
            1e.  Montague Fitzjames Wilson.  Drowned at sea.
        2c.  Henry Horner.
        3c.  Mrs. LINDSAY.
           1d.  Ellen Lindsay (brought up by Henry Horner above)
        4c.  Mrs. BROSTER.
           1d.  Mary Broster (also brought up by Henry Horner).
   4b.  Henry Morell (1745-1817) ? of Terrydremon.
   5b.  Mary Morell, d. unmarried in 1828.
   6b.  Alice Morell, m. William HASLETT of Lower Drumneecy.
                     xc.  Children recorded under Lower Drumneecy Hasletts -- including the Rev. Henry Haslett of Castlereagh, mentioned above.

2a.  Robert Morell, m. (1739) Mary Alison.
   1b.  Robert Morell.