Author Topic: Dalgarno of Aberdeen  (Read 21229 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dalgarno of Aberdeen
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 23 May 13 19:16 BST (UK) »
There may have been any amount of William Dalgarnos who died within the time frame you're searching in. Deaths weren't always recorded nor burial records kept.Those that remain sometimes are incomplete too:(
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 23 May 13 21:43 BST (UK) »
It  isn't just the death records I have been struggling with!  The cluster of people around said William Dalgarno appear briefly around 1800 then disappear again.  Anyone born after about 1790 appears to be traceable through the generations.  For one person I can only find a date for death, and thereby birth, on a gravestone!

I have tried broad searches in sp but any hits vanish as I get close to the relevant date or place.  I have even found that the only hit anywhere close is not the correct person. This is complicated by the fact that I am looking fo OPRs that may not contain much information anyway.  I think I have exhausted FamilySearch records but I keep going in to try a variation on previous searches - just in case.  My hope is that someone has been researching my branch of the Dalgarnos and will read my message.  So far any promising information has failed to end with the correct people.

To success!

Frances

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 23 May 13 21:53 BST (UK) »
Looby
I forgot to add when I replied to you - I checked the information you gave for Elizabeth Milne.  Again, the information is too vague to rely on it.  I have also a possible Milne connection on the other side but can't confirm it.  There are a few middle names in that generation I have not found, eg Baxter, Blackhall, Kitson, Donaldson.  I am sure they will be there when I hit the correct parents for someone.

Frances

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:02 BST (UK) »
Frances,
Have you seen the family tree info on Family Search website for the Dalgarno's?
Looby

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
Looking at Family Searches User Submitted Genealogies Barbara Dalgarno who marries George Harris in 1828 has several separate entries.
One lists her with William Dalgarno and Margaret Runciman as her parents and another records her as being the daughter of a Joseph Dalgarno and a Barbara Dalgarno ???. Both entries record her marriage to Harris and list her children.
Looby

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 24 May 13 09:53 BST (UK) »
Looby
Yes, I have the spouse of Barbara Dalgarno but no information as yet for him.  Unfortunately, the Dalgarno trees I have looked at show that Margaret Runciman and William Dalgarno died prior to the birth of their two children!  I suspect they married late which is why there are no other children or they were very unfortunate with infant deaths.  If Margaret was William's second wife it could explain the lack of good information.  I checked Ancestry trees but no-one seems to have earlier information about them.

I discovered Margaret had a brother, Andrew, who farmed at Dyce.  He had to pay tax on two horses on his farm so I think he was the farm owner rather than a tenant.  He had three daughters.

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 24 May 13 10:41 BST (UK) »
Looby
I have been looking at FamilySearch again and came across the Barbara Dalgarno/George Harris entry.  I see her father is Joseph Dalgarno.  This is obviously why I did not get any further than recording a name for George Harris.  My Barbara was born 1801.  George Harris married Barbara born 1804 according to the database.

Oh well, at least I can remove notes for the Harris family.  My earlier info is probably not accurate.

Frances

Barbara /DALGARNO/
birth:     about January 1801
St Nicholas, Aberdeen, Scotland
death:     
more

spouse: 
    George /HARRIS/
birth:     about 1796
Scotland
death:     
less
More information
marriage:     11 December 1828
Old Deer, Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 24 May 13 11:02 BST (UK) »
There appears to be conflicting information on Family Search, Frances. One entry records Barbara as being the daughter of Joseph https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/9932-7JQ
and the other link her to William and Margaret https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/ST92-WF6.

These entries are supplied by contributors to the Family Search site and someone has obviously made a mistake ???

Don't discount Barbara yet - she could still be Jean's sister!!  :D

Looby

Offline francestogneri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 24 May 13 11:55 BST (UK) »
Looby
What a nice thought that it could be so easy to make the missing link!  There is no doubt my Barbara is the daughter of William and Margaret.  She is also the sister to Jean who marries William Ruddiman.  These are the only two children I have traced in this family.  I have documents for these people and although the OPRs provide little information, witnesses to Barbara's baptism are John Dalgarno (shoemaker) and Andrew Runciman (farmer).  I haven't been able to find a John Dalgarno listed as a shoemaker in Aberdeen so I am not sure of his relationship.  Could be Barbara's uncle or grandfather.  By the way, if you are unaware of the Post Office Directories (National Library of Scotland), they are another source of information if you have tradespeople in your family.