Author Topic: James Ashford's part in WWI?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline raysen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Ashford's part in WWI?
« on: Monday 19 November 12 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,

I am looking for some information as to what the below persons role in WWI was.

Born James William Ashford May 20th 1897 in Suffolk (possibly born in Barningham, Suffolk and registered in Thetford, Norfolk) he apparently joined up when he was 17 so would have been in 1915.

It was a high probability he joined up to a Suffolk Regiment, but Bedford or Hertforshire could also be possibilities.

I know that he spent some time in the hospital while he was enlisted as he was gassed.

I have checked on the National Archives website and have found a James Ashford in 9th Suffolk Regiment when he was 18 - regiment # 13754 ( ref # WO 372/1/128927) - although it is hard to know if this is the correct person at the moment.

Are there any other sites or places I could check which could help me further with my search?

Much Appreciated

Rachael
Senior - Yorkshire / Lincolnshire
Daykin / Dakin - Horncastle, Lincs
Potts - Staffs
Surfleet - Bardney, Lincs
Ladds - Boston, Lincs
Potter - Boston, Lincs
Golland - Boston, Lincs / Sheffield
Gill - Lincolnshire

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Ashford's part in WWI?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachael

There are no obvious military archives that can help you once you have checked the WW1 records on Ancestry.

You could try the electoral rolls for 1918-19 if you have an address. Or troll through the local newspapers hoping he was listed as being wounded.

Ken

Offline maz591

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Ashford's part in WWI?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 12 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Rachel,
I do not know anything about James Williams military career.  However, he was baptised in Barningham on 6 Nov 1898 as the son of James and Anna Laura Ashford.  The abode listed is Barningham, fathers profession is listed as carpenter.  A birthdate of May 20 1897 is given.  Also baptised on the same day were Florence May Ashford, born 12 Feb 1894, Alice May Ashford, born July 12 1895 and Bertie Edward Ashford, born Sep 10 1898.  Later on 22 Feb 1899 Frederick Ashford was baptised, no birthdate was given.