Author Topic: Union cottages, Whitehaven  (Read 2504 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Union cottages, Whitehaven
« on: Tuesday 20 November 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Please could anyone give me an idea of whereabouts in modern Whitehaven, "Union Cottages" in the late 1800s may have been?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Union cottages, Whitehaven
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Is this an address on a census?  If so then looking at the pages either side might show a road which is still there.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 16:11 GMT (UK) »
What good advice. It is on a census; relating to John and Mary ( such distinctive names!) Fisher, at 7, Union Terrace, Whitehaven in 1881. We've also got it down as "Union Cottages" from another source. I'd assumed it'd be fairly central, and not a very posh area, to say the least. I'll try to locate a neighbouring street in 1881 - thank you.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 17:17 GMT (UK) »
OK, found it. :)  It's called "Union" as it's on the site of the old workhouse which was replaced in the 1830s. http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Whitehaven/

Go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=297720,518301

Choose (on right) 1866 1:500 map

If you look at the 1925 1:2500 map, you'll see that a tannery had been built there.

This photo shows Scotch St - the bridge linked the two parts of the tannery.  When I used to visit Whitehaven as a kid, it was all in shades of grey - the bridge was the only thing I remember that had any colour. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 17:47 GMT (UK) »
 .... And the sort of houses shown in there give me a fairish idea of what the houses in Union terrace may well have been like.

I've used the old map to give me an ideaof whereabouts it is today, relative to modern streets, and now I'll explore a little further in today's topography with dear old GoogleEarth!
I'd had the idea that the buildings were in a rather elevated part of the town, from a photo my father showed me many years ago - don't know why, they just somehow seemed to be on a hillside.
That's really kind of you to help me out like this. Thanks.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I've found a photo, albeit quite distant :)

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/sites/all/lib/aerofilms-images/public/england/EPW029188.jpg

See Scotch St running up from bottom left corner ... note the tannery bridge ... see three terraces lying parallel to Scotch St near the top - that's your Union Terrace(s).  Photo taken 1929.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 November 12 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - it's given me a good idea of it. A very clear image, Geoff-E, isn't it? Quite easy to co-ordinate with more modern layout of area. That's been most helpful and informative, thank you again.