Author Topic: Anstey records  (Read 10083 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anstey records
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 December 12 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Scarlettlady

You really need to answer some of the questions already asked if you want us to help you.

Can't find a family that adds up to the information you've given.

Specifically, when and where was your grandfather William Edward Knight born - and as CaroleW has already asked, where did you get his mothers surname of Robinson from?

As to Frederick - there is certainly no Frederick bc.1864/5 Anstey so we need to know specifics re. your grandfather William Edward Knight to enable us to locate Frederick.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 December 12 11:41 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)
Hi scarlettlady yes there is a church just round the corner from were my mum works  the libary does have census thereas well ,my mums birth cert is there as well as she was born her in markfield lane newtown linford ,as it was under barrow upon soar  and ansty has those censu there  if i get some time will go and have a llok ,not been down there for a long time
Danone

Offline scarlettlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 December 12 19:32 GMT (UK) »
 ??? hi annette

This is what i have as knowledge of my grantfather
William Edward Knights birthdate: 17.02.1889
he was born in staffordshire i think and his mothers name was Elizabeth Knight nee Arnold she was born in cambridge in or around 1864 and died in 1929 after having married to a second husband named on her death cert as james sylvester she may have married in 1884 or thereabouts.  i dont know for certain his father was a frederick knight im only going on what ive been told.  i dont have much more information than that im afraid.  thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 December 12 21:34 GMT (UK) »
William Edward Knights birthdate: 17.02.1889 he was born in staffordshire i think

The only birth on freebmd was in Kettering which is in Northamptonshire

and his mothers name was Elizabeth Knight nee Arnold

There is no marriage on freebmd between a male surname Knight and a female surname Arnold

and died in 1929 after having married to a second husband named on her death cert as james sylvester

Nor is there a James Sylvester marriage to an Elizabeth Knight/Arnold

There appears to be a lot of unsubtantiated info for it to be reliable.  Do you have a copy of William Edward's birth cert which confirms his fathers name and mothers name and maiden name. 

and died in 1929

An Elizabeth L Sylvester died in Leics in 1929 - what does the L stand for?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 December 12 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Believe I have found the family but I'm afraid there is no connection to Anstey that I can see at all and William Edward wasn't born in Staffordshire!

Frederick Knight and Elizabeth Arnold appear to have married in the June quarter of 1880 at Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.
In 1881 18 year old Elizabeth Knight, married, living with a Samuel and Emma Lee as a visitor - ref. RG11 - 3119 - 74 -20.  Think Emma was Elizabeth's sister.   She is shown as bc.1863 Blaby, Leicestershire.    Frederick Knight - shown as married and living by himself at 7 Russell Street, Wisbech - is a Plumber, Glazier and Painter aged 30 i.e. bc.1851 at Huntingdon, Hunts.

1891 - ref. RG12 - 1219 - 5 - 4 - at Middleton, Northampton

Elizabeth Knight    26 (lost a couple of years)  shown as the wife of a Journeyman Painter                                      b.Blaby, Leicestershire
Arnold Knight      9                                       b. Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Leonard F. Knight  7                                              ditto
William E. Knight  2                                       b. Middleton, Northamptonshire

Cannot find Frederick in 1891.

In 1901 - ref. RG13 - 2951 -118 - 5 - is a lodger in Dunton Bassett, Leics. but it states he is single!

I cannot find Elizabeth and the 3 children above plus any others that might have been born after. 

1871 - Dingley, Northamptonshire - ref. RG10 - 3224 - 58 - 1

James Arnold     42     Gardener Domestic Servt.   b. Brutenthorpe (?), Leics.
Sarah Arnold      42                                             b. Wanlip, Leics.
Emma Arnold     17                                             b. Bitteswell, Leics.
Sarah Arnold      12                                                  ditto
Harry Arnold      9                                                    ditto
Elizabeth Arnold  8                                              b. Blaby, Leics.

1861 Huntingdon, Huntingdonshire - ref. RG9 - 975 - 25 - 12

William Knight    43     Ironmongers Porter        b. Papworth St. Everard, Cambs.
Ann Knight         45                                            b. Huntingdon
Edward Knight    12                                               ditto
Ellen Knight      11                                                 ditto
Frederick Knight   10                                              ditto
Emma Knight  8                                                     ditto
Charles Knight  7                                                    ditto
Julia Knight 5                                                         ditto
William Knight 1                                                     ditto
Louisa Knight under 2 mos.                                     ditto     

So, from ca.1818 to 1891 there is no connection at all to Anstey, nor to Staffordshire albeit where they may have ended up.

Where were Elizabeth and her boys in 1901??

Annette                     
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 December 12 23:06 GMT (UK) »

And here's the Sylvester marriage - shown as Silvester

Marriages September qtr 1913   
Elizabeth Knight / James Silvester  Leicester  7a 622
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline scarlettlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 December 12 21:46 GMT (UK) »
thanks so much everyone who helped me on this its solved a family mystery as to where great grandfather fred knight was born and also great grandmother elizabeth knight nee arnold. Her first husband fred knight died young about early fifties i was told in leicesterof a heart attack, their marriage was never a happy one and they both seperated before my grandad william edward was very old.  thats why fred is shown as single on the census of 1901.i can quite understand how they were travelling up and down the country so much but ive been told they were gypsies of some sort.  once again thanks everyone. anstey was a substantial red herring as starting point for my research but the Arnold family and the knights seem to have had family members in cambridgeshire and leicester.

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 14:39 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)Hi scarlett lady
did some checking in ansty village the libary does have some census there so may be they have what you want they do have them printed out as well thats how i found my mums marraige
.Danone

Offline Lestisherlvr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 December 13 06:42 GMT (UK) »
In Anstey I have a Frederick Knight chr 7 sep 1828 with Parents listed as well.