Author Topic: Ahh, BISCOE (a mystery)  (Read 8930 times)

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ahh, BISCOE (a mystery)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 November 12 09:09 GMT (UK) »
which is why I've ordered Susan Biscoe née Lane's 1648 will.

I've got to admit that is one LANE related will I haven't looked at. If it contains any references to her siblings/nephews/nieces please could you let me know? Thanks.

If it turns out I am descended from her, would you be willing to share some of your findings with me?

Sure, I'll give you the main highlights/pointers relevant to you, but not an all-encompassing GEDfile type of thing.  I think consensus is that spreading those type of things around just leads to discouraging people from actually checking things out themselves, and so spreads unverified errors around..

P.S. What was the nature of that reference in the second link, the one on the A2A site?

No specific one, just an example. BTW did you pick up on the fact the Bucks Records Office was holding documents that at first glance only referred to London BISCOEs? This is as sure a sign as you can get that either Bucks BISCOEs moved to London or vice versa. Also some of the BISCOS of Chesham and Missenden were Tanners and seem to have been linked to Uxbridge just over the border with Middlesex. It is almost certain that you should look at the Middlesex/London wills too. Some are online but you may well find you need to visit the London Metropolitan Archives as well.

UPDATE: Just found a scan of a 1909 book containing the heralds' visitations of 1634 for Bucks. I've found the Lanes, but as you said, it merely says "Descended from the Lanes of Northamptonshire", so not much help. Very interesting, though.

I seem to recall there are also Hughenden LANE descendants in the Visitations of Middlesex (Thomas of Perivale?) and Oxon (Badgemore?).

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 November 12 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I have the ones for Robert Biscoe (d. 1630) and his mother Joan née Randall (d. 1622)

btw, Susan LANE'S uncle, Edward LANE married a Sibill RANDALL d. of Edward RANDALL in 1579. Were Joan and Sibill sisters I wonder?

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 November 12 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin.   I have no paid up subs for Ancestry, so I cannot view your tree.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Well, I've got the wills back, and all I can say is "curiouser and curiouser".

First things first: Susan's will. Unfortunately, from what I understand (the note on the compliment slip was confusing), BCC couldn't photocopy the original will as it's too fragile, so they sent a copy from the parish register. Trouble is, it's nigh-on illegible. It's not that it's written in secretary hand that's the problem, as I'm not too bad at reading that, it's just that it's written very badly. Having said that, I can make out mention of a daughter Margaret, plus (elsewhere) the surname Widmer. It is accompanied by a paragraph written in Latin which is in much neater handwriting, but unfortunately it's full of abbreviations and my Latin is pretty ropey anyway.

The wills for William Stallion (d. 1696) and John Stallion (d. 1764), who probably are related somehow, are much more useful/legible and give the names of not only children, but also grandchildren. They seem to back up what I've seen on Ancestry, which would imply that whoever originally uploaded the data was probably using the wills as their source.

The most useful in terms of showing any Stallion/Biscoe link is the will of Moses Biscoe (d. circa 1717). In it, he mentions the children of his sister, Mary and John Stallion (implying she predeceased him).

But!

Her name was Ruth!

???

Added to this, a contact on Ancestry says that Mary, wife of John Stallion, died in 1688. Perhaps John got married a third time, to Mary's sister Ruth. But if that's the case, why does there appear to be absolutely no record of a Ruth Biscoe anywhere?

Steve, would you be able to check the information you have for anything regarding a Ruth Stallion or Biscoe, even if it's a burial?

As I said, curiouser and curiouser...

Alice Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Just did a quick search in IGI. and there is a Ruth Stallion marrying Paul Tilbury in Little Missenden, Bucks.  7 Dec 1761.

Her baptism was 25 Jan 1740 @ Little Missenden.   Ruth,  Daughter of John & Eleanor Stallion.

Nothing on IGI for Ruth Biscoe.

I'll have a peek in Hughenden Pr's, and see what else I can find for Ruth ??.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Steve. I'd presume that Ruth was named after her relative. They seemed to recycle names a lot.

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Ok......I'm just going to chuck some records I've found in Hughenden at you, and hopefully they may match up with the Will/s.   I may repeat myself with some finds. ::)

Stallions in Hughenden

Burials.

Mary Stallion, wife of John of Little Missenden.  2 Dec 1688.
William Stallion.  12 Sep 1806.  no age given.
Sarah Stallion.  21 Jan 1839.  aged 96 of Wycombe Heath.
Ellen Stallion.  17 Jan 1857.  aged 87 of Widmer End.
William Stallion.  13 Feb 1859,  aged 78 of Kingshill.

Baptisms.

William, son of William & Sarah Stallion. 1770.
John, son of William & Sarah Stallion. 21 Jul 1776.
William, son of William & Sarah Stallion.

Marriages.

John Stallion & Elizabeth Randall.  18 Oct 1674. (BT).
Abraham Stallion & Anne Morton. 24 Dec 1696.  both of Little Missenden.  by license.
Giles Stallion(widower),  & Elizabeth Rayner.   20 Oct 1700.  both of Little Missenden.  by license.
Anne Stallion(of Little Missenden), & William Clarke(of Penn).   6 Apr 1725.  by license.
Rebeccah Stallyon(of Little Missenden), & John Fowler(of Penn).  28 Sep 1729.  by license.
William Stallion & Sarah Wingrove.  27 May 1776.  b.o.t.p.

Did you have all these. ?   And I'd bet my dogs dinner, that your answers lie in Little Missenden.

Found this in Hughenden.

Frances WIDMER, daughter of Mr. Thomas & RUTH Widmer.  27 Nov 1711.   Born at 5am, Sunday morning, 25 November.

Ruth WIDMER, daughter of Thomas & Ruth. 21 Nov 1719.
Mary WIDMER,  -------------ditto-----------------. 19 Jul 1717.

There are other children baptised to Thomas & Ruth in Hughenden.

I can't see a marriage in Hughenden for Thomas Widmer.

I would also assume, that Widmer End is named after this family, at a guess.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 15:57 GMT (UK) »

I believe so. For what it is worth they are on P221 of the 1669 Bucks Visitation although no BISCOEs mentioned:- http://ia700301.us.archive.org/12/items/visitationofcoun58phil/visitationofcoun58phil.pdf

Note that the name was often spelled WIDMORE not WIDMER so try both when looking at PCC wills etc.

I can't see a marriage in Hughenden for Thomas Widmer.

They had links to London and elsewhere so distant marriages are a possibility.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 16:19 GMT (UK) »

"The name of Widmer, a family who lived at Rockhalls in the 17th and 18th centuries, survives in the small hamlet of Widmer End with Widmer End and Widmer Farms, half a mile to the north-east."

from

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42529