Author Topic: Harry/Henry Pilkington Wilson  (Read 3711 times)

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harry/Henry Pilkington Wilson
« on: Friday 23 November 12 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have been researching by Great Great Grandfather for a while now but have been unable to determine his birth date, or who his parents were and when he arrived in NZ.

He seems to mainly go by Harry Wilson but he is also known, it seems, as Henry Pilkington Wilson.

He married Emily Mary Armstrong on 22 Jan 1876 in Havelock, NZ.  The marriage certificate does not contain his parents names and only states his place of birth as Liverpool, England. 

They had many children here in New Zealand and I have been in touch with another descendent and they have been unable to figure out his birth date, who is parents were or when he arrived either.

He was a Carpenter/Joiner.  He also went bankrupt and I have recently viewed those files thanks to Spades, but no birth date. 

He either divorced or separated from his wife and ended up dying in the Hawke's Bay in a house fire in 1916.  I have not sourced his death certificate, as it is unlikely to contain much information, as I have been told that as he aged he became more reclusive and who ever would have filled out the certificate would not likely to be privy to his birth date or parents names.  There was a mention of the House Fire in Paper's Past which stated he was 80 when he died, but I am unsure how accurate this is likely to be.   

He had several mentions in the Marlborough Express (Paper's Past), as that seems to be the area of NZ where he spent most of his life, but they have not given me any clues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Zylar22

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: Harry/Henry Pilkington Wilson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 November 12 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

It may seem a bit expensive but it could be worthwhile obtaining some of the children's birth printouts. The age of the father will be shown and you could find a little more than just "Liverpool". It would be of interest also to see which Christian names were used at the various registrations.

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 November 12 02:24 GMT (UK) »
I can only seem to find this death entry

1916/7318   Wilson   Henry Rikington   81Y

with an exact date of 19/10/1916
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 November 12 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, you probably have this, but posting just in case:

Cemetery database entry

Family name    Wilson   
Age     80 years
Given names    Henry P   
Date deceased    18/10/1916
Gender    Male
Occupation    Retired      
Cemetery    Takapau
Plot    752   
Grave/Ashes    Grave   
Depth    Standard         
Plot Size    2300 x 750mm                  
Headstone Reference    No Headstone

Apparently there is supposed to be an image but it is not linked/loading.

So that means he was buried the day before he died????

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 November 12 02:50 GMT (UK) »
I see the Paperpast article confirms his death as Wednesday 18 October 1916.

He is listed as Harry Pilkington Wilson in 1914, in the electoral roll for Waipawa, Hawkes Bay.  Haven't been able to find him elsewhere prior so far.  (If the first point of registration could be found then that may give us a clue to which port he may have arrived in?)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 November 12 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Might there be something in the Police Gazettes?  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0sbc/

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 November 12 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I will request my Great Grandma's birth certificate and see if it contains his age and potentially his birth date.  I had located his cemetery database entry, but thanks for listing it just in case.  The earliest Electoral Entry I have been able to find for him is 1880-1881 - Marlborough - Wairau - where he is listed as a Carpenter.  I will check out the Police Gazettes as it seems he was in trouble with the law quite a few times.  So that is a great suggestion.

Thanks Zylar22

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 November 12 04:07 GMT (UK) »
You should note that printouts are cheaper and can obtain more information than a certificate.

Minniehaha.  :)
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 November 12 04:07 GMT (UK) »

He married Emily Mary Armstrong on 22 Jan 1876 in Havelock, NZ.  The marriage certificate does not contain his parents names and only states his place of birth as Liverpool, England.  

Hi zylar22

Just a bit curious about the marriage certificate you mention as it wasn't until the last quarter of 1881 that "place of birth" (and "parents names, father's occupation") began to be recorded on NZ Marriage certificates. ??   ;)

*  Has the birthplace you have for Harry WILSON, come from some other source ?

~  Lu