Author Topic: Harry/Henry Pilkington Wilson  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Bugly

• RootsChat Extra
  • 5th generation Kiwis living in Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Harry/Henry Pilkington Wilson
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 November 12 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a Henry Pilkington Hayward born about 1838 in Macclesfield, East Cheshire, Cumberland, England. He and three of his brothers (Frederick William Hayward, Charles Edwin Hayward, and Horatio James Hayward) migrated to Auckland, where they set up shop as furniture makers and coffin makers (and later undertakers ;D).

I can't find a Henry Pilkington Wilson in these lines, but if you look for Henry Pilkington Hayward's father John Hayward (born 22/2/1789 Turton, East Lanc, England, died 24/5/1855, Jesmond, Newcastle-on-tyne, England) married Margaret Williams (b.abt 1803-d.25/11/1854) you may find a 'Pilkington' surname somewhere. I'm guessing up the Margaret Williams line somewhere. This may then have started the ‘Henry Pilkington Wilson’ line.

Added later: This fits with the carpenter/joiner trade, and coincidentally CE Hayward and HP Hayward went bankrupt too! ::) ::)

Good luck!!
COWAN, ex Scotland
LOCHEAD, ex Scotland
RAYNEL, ex Channel Islands
KENNEDY, ex Scotland
SCANDLYN, ex Cornwall
McWILLIAMS, ex Northern Ireland
ADAMS, ex England

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 November 12 01:56 GMT (UK) »

He married Emily Mary Armstrong on 22 Jan 1876 in Havelock, NZ.  The marriage certificate does not contain his parents names and only states his place of birth as Liverpool, England.  

Hi zylar22

Just a bit curious about the marriage certificate you mention as it wasn't until the last quarter of 1881  1880 (from October) that "place of birth" (and "parents names, father's occupation") began to be recorded on NZ Marriage certificates. ??   ;)

**  Correction  **

Just adding a correction to my previous post ... year should have read 1880

~  Lu

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 November 12 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your posts and suggestions.  I will work through them today to see where they lead me.

Regards

Zylar22

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 November 12 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Thanks to TwiggyTree and Spades, I have now obtained the birth year of Harry (1840) and confirmed his birth place as Liverpool, England.

This information was contained in the Police Gazettes.

This is a big breakthrough and I hope it now leads me to who his parents were.

Will check our the 1841 census to see if I can figure anything out.  But if anyone can help me figure out who his parents were, now that there is further information, that would be really appreciated.

Regards

Zylar22