Author Topic: Parish records  (Read 1815 times)

Offline chithead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish records
« on: Sunday 11 November 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Doherty Bridget Born approx 1837
Mother Mary Born 1817 approx
Father John dob unknown
Siblings Ann/e dob 1841 approx
             Mary Anne  dob 1844 approx
Mother & 3 girls Arrived in South Australia 1857 aboard "Tantivy"
dob approx according to ages listed on passenger list.
Father not listed on passenger list so don't know if Mary a widow or John came out on earlier vessel.
Kerry listed  as place of origin.
Any assistance appreciated

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 12 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Best website for Co. Kerry parish records is www.irishgenealogy.ie (free)

There are a number of Doherty families listed in Co. Kerry, but nothing so far that's a good match by date.. do you have any idea about which part of Co. Kerry your Doherty family lived or Mary's maiden name ?

e.g. from her death cert, or one of the children's marriage certs.

There are at least two baptism matches in the 1830s for a Bridget with John and Mary as parents - very common firstnames, so there could be others..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline chithead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 12 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks shanew147 Bridget Doherty is my Great Grandmother and only info on her marriage certificate is her Father's name John and her Mother Mary was a witness. Their Marriage Bridget & James Clarke took place here in Australia 1859 at Kapunda South Australia. The rest info ie,  place of origin, approx dob, came from ships passenger list when Mary, Bridget and her two sisters arrived 1857. Will check out site you recommended thanks for your prompt reply. chithead (wendy)

Offline chithead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 November 12 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks shane & annclare for your help plus the South Australia library's assistance. I was able to track down my Great Great grandparents and my Great grandmother and her siblings.
My great great grandmother remarried after her arrival in SA and her fathers name on her marriage certificate so narrowed down the research with Doherty and Mary and Bridget all being very common names in Ireland. Though I cant' find his buriel notice it would appear Great great grandfather John Doherty died before Mary and her girls immigrated. Very much appreciated your suggestions did make the search so much easier & enjoyable. :) :) :)

Offline chithead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Completed Doherty Family research
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 November 12 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to annclare  I was able to find my Great Great Granparents using new site listed for Kerry Parish Ireland. Thanks to all roots chatters who assisted in this search, with warm appreciation Chithead ( wendy)