Author Topic: Passenger List "Saldanha" 1863  (Read 11362 times)

Offline dwhhwd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger List "Saldanha" 1863
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 12:46 BST (UK) »
Janine,

Further to my last, I have joined the two pages together to show the open book.

David

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 00:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you soooo much. This is incredible, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. I didn't know about the Land Orders so I was at a bit of a road block but this officially confirms William Williams arrived on the Saldanha and it even gives his middle initial! William's mother was a Hughes so it might be interesting to check out the David Hughes listed just before William and see if they are related. Thanks for joining the two pages it makes it much easier to read. I am so excited by this breakthrough, David.

cheers Janine :)
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline dwhhwd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 02:08 BST (UK) »
Janine,

Glad to help.
 Regarding David Hughes, I don't think that people listed on the same Land Order Certificate No were necessarily travelling together or even knew each other. As far as I know, my relative Jonathan England had no relationship to Ann I Mays who is listed next to him on the same certificate. These Land Orders were being issued to James Baynes and Co (Owners of the Black Ball Line) as payment or part-payment for the cost of bringing the immigrants to Moreton Bay. They probably wanted to save pages by putting as many as possible on the same certificate/line.

But, every lead is still worth checking out !!

David

Offline dwhhwd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 02:20 BST (UK) »
Janine,

You have probably seen this story on the Saldanha which was written in 1920 (and later transcribed with some minor errors). If not, it can be found at:

http://www.cqhistory.com/wiki/pmwiki.php/Events/Ship-TheSaldanha

Regards

David

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 April 15 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, David! I hadn't found that article about the Saldanha. I read with interest the bit about two Welsh men who couldn't speak a word of English who got lost in the bush. There is a possibility that one of them was William. It will be interesting to see how many of the passengers were Welsh.

I know that it is a long shot that David Hughes is connected to William Williams but it never hurts to check into it as sometimes they do pay off. I now wish that I hadn't let my Ancestry subscription lapse LOL.

cheers Janine
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline dwhhwd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 April 15 14:06 BST (UK) »
Janine,

Attached is a contemporary article on the lost Welshmen from the Saldanha, but no names unfortunately.

David

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 April 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. How frustrating that they don't mention names. grrrr, I can't win a break.

I am not quite sure if I want it to be them, if they were silly enough to wander off into the bush. If it was him, he must have improved because he ended up assisting  in droving a mob of cattle to form a station at Greenmount, Mackay.

Can't find any mention of David Hughes on Trove :(

thanks again :)

Janine.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 April 15 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Janine.
On the subject of David HUGHES.

Have you thought of looking at young male relatives to your mother with the name David HUGHES who were living in the same area as William when he departed ?

If you were to locate such a man it may be possible to track his presence or absence through United Kingdom census records. If you knew the names of the parents of such a man, his death may show up if he died in Australia.

I am not contradicting dwhhwd in that a relationship may not exist between the two on the same line, however I do note that  often on the page family members  (being of the same surname) are crowded together on in a space, so it is an open possibility in my opinion.

Just thoughts ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dwhhwd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 April 15 06:26 BST (UK) »
Janine,
Below are the deaths of David Hughes in Queensland from 1860 to 1940

See if any of the parents names look familiar