Author Topic: Yeoward Family  (Read 2936 times)

Offline judith5013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yeoward Family
« on: Saturday 24 November 12 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody ,I would like some help please if possible ,i am trying to trace the Yeoward family or any descendants noteably of a Nellie Yeoward nee Crabtree who was born in the Bradford area in about 1870 ,she married a John Yeoward in about 1893 in the Parish Church in Heaton which i think is in the Bradford area .They had 3 children Dudley born 1897, John Frederick born 1894 and  Brenda born 1902 all 3 were born in the Isle Of Man .The father John died in 1908 in the Isle Of Man .
In the 1911 census they were still in the Isle of Man and there was a Boarder  recorded named as a Richard Nightingale Banks this person was my Great Uncle and i am 95% sure he married Nellie sometime after 1912 .I have been trying to find out about Richard for about 4 years Richard died in La in the USA in Jan 1933 and he was recorded as married .I have a newspaper cutting of his Death from a Isle Of Man newspaper stating that his wife the former Mrs Nellie Yeoward was residing in Higher Bebbington on the Wirral .
                                      If anyone has any suggestions it would be very much appreciated ,as yet i cannot even find a marriage for Nellie and Richard .

Judy Howell

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Yeoward Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 12 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy, there was another son ERIC b. c. 1895. Ramsey IOM to John & Nellie.
He married Edith Mary Glass in Gateshead on Thyne 9th March 1918
He enlisted in the army 4th Jan 1915 Royal Field Artillery in Bradford.
On his details he gave next of kin as Nellie Banks with an address in Manchester but this was all crossed out and instead he gave his wifes details.
This was a pension record.
I have located various other records but will pm you with the details. :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 12 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Marriage for Brenda Yeoward. October-Nov-December 1929. Reg District West Derby. County Lancashire Vol 8b Page 812.
Same reference for Andrew W Brown :)

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 22:34 GMT (UK) »
From marriage notice in 1893 Nellie was the second daughter of the late John Crabtree of Wellsprings House , Heaton, Bradford. They married on 21st June 1893 at Heaton Parish Churh.

John Crabtree of Wellsprings House, Heaton, Bradford was the head of John Crabtree and Son, wool merchants of Union Street, Bradford. His son Samuel was his partner in later years.

John Crabtree of Wellsprings House, Heaton, Bradford died on 30th November 1887 aged 55.

Offline Stubanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Richard Nightingale Banks was my grandfather.  He and Nellie Yeoward, neé Crabtree, produced my father Nigel Banks who was born on June 6, 1913 at Mount Pleasant, Liverpool Road, Sankey, Warrington.  According to the Registry of Births, the informant was my grandfather Richard Nightingale Banks who provided the information on 24th June 1913.   I too have never found a marriage record for Nellie and Richard, so I assume my father Nigel was a bastard child.  For a while afterwards he lived as a boy with Nellie in the Isle of Man until the age of 21 years.

Offline Stubanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 January 13 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Re: Nigel Banks - sent by judith5013 to Stubanks on Jan 3, 2013 at 13:09 GMT:

I am hoping this message will find stubanks . I am related to your grandfather Richard Nightingale Banks. His sister Mary was my grandmother Mary Banks there was also another brother Rowland Graham Banks who was killed in action on the 30th July 1916 .   Would love to know more from your side.  I have been searching for info about your grandfather for about 5/6 years.I had no idea that gran had 2 brothers when I was growing up until I started this in about 2004..My late Mother was your fathers’ first cousin .

Hope this message reaches you.
                                  Judy

My Reply:
I never knew my Grandfather Richard Nightingale Banks as I was born in 1946.  My father Nigel never mentioned him either – I got the impression that his father (Richard Nightingale) deserted him and Nellie at a very early age.  My father never mentioned his mother Nellie either – I figured out that the first 20 years of his life were unhappy.  Consequently, my father Nigel was very much a ‘loner’.   My father left the IOM in the early 1930’s and went to work as a time and wages clerk in Liverpool.  At the outbreak of WWII he was commissioned into the Royal Artillery as a Lieutenant.  In 1940, he married my mother Sheila Kathleen Tavener.  I was born in 1946 and I have a younger brother Michael Shaun who was born in 1954.  After the war, my father worked for Sir Alfred McAlpine (building contractor) as an office & contracts manager, primarily based in Ireland.  He died in 1976 at a very young age of 63 years.  I emigrated to the USA in 1993 and am happily married and retired here.

Kind regards, 
Stuart Charles Banks 

Offline cavair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 13 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the various bits of info,  it has filled in a few more dates!
The "lost" posting thread was by my sister and we have now made contact with Richard's grandson, our 2nd cousin.
We are all still searching for Nellie.

The grand daughter i mentioned was, im pretty sure, descended from Eric and she seemed to be in Australia, so hopefully we will find her!
BANKS -North Yorks/Durham;  ORD - Durham;  WALKERLEY / HUGGINS / KING - Lincs;   CAVILL - Bristol;