Author Topic: Looking for BMD info for relatives in Llanhilleth +Six Bells  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Claire-M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for BMD info for relatives in Llanhilleth +Six Bells
« on: Saturday 24 November 12 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Looking for marriage and deaths of some siblings.
- James Welsh or Welch born 1886 in Gardiffaith Monmouthshire. No info known about him other than family called him Jimmy/Jim.

- Johannah Welsh or Welch born 1889 in Gardiffaith Monmouth. Relatives called her Auntie Anna and believes she moved to Warwickshire and married someone Banks.

- Death for Willaim Welsh or Welch born about 1893 in Golynos Talywain Monmouth. Believed to have never married and to have lived in Llanhilleth before his death.

- Thomas Welsh or Welch born 1891 in Golynos Talywain Monmouth. Believed to have married an Alice (maiden name Powell) and had a daughter Doreen. (I believe Doreen was actually Alice Doreen). Thomas and Alice are thought to have lived in or near Griffin street. Alice's sister Phyllis' house backed on to Tom and Alice's. Relatives believe Thomas died a while before Alice did.

Unable to find any of the BMD's mentioned and would really appreciate some help. Thank you.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for BMD info for relatives in Llanhilleth +Six Bells
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 12 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hope I have read all the detail in your post correctly and that these bits help get you started. Let me know if you need any more.

Pontypool, Monmouthshire
WELSH, James, Q2/1886 – 11A/147* see below
WELSH, Johanna Q3/1889 – 11A/128 – (No trace of marriage to Banks)
WELSH, Thomas Q3/1891 – 11A/149 – (No trace of a marriage to Alice Powell)
WELSH, William Q1/1895 – 11A/162  (Welch William Died Q1/1932 – 11A/353)

Bedwellty, Monmouthshire

The only WELCH, William born Q1/1893 – 11A/58 died there age 1

*1911 –James maybe
2nd Battalion: The Royal Irish Regiment, 2ND BATTALION ROYAL IRISH REGIMENT, FORT GEORGE, GUERNSEY, CHANNEL ISLANDS

Regards

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Claire-M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 November 12 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Colin,
       thanks very much for your help. The marriage between Johannah and a Banks could have been confused in the family though my relative is pretty sure and there are mentions of Banks' in the family, but I guess that's a bit of a dead end.

James Welsh/Welch has proved to be pretty elusive, relatives don't really remember him only remember hearing of him so it's possible he died young. Not sure if the military record is James, are you able to see if any family is mentioned on the record?

Not sure about the death for William Welsh/Welch,  my auntie was born in the 40s and she doesn't remember meeting him so it is possible that the death you've mentioned is correct. I'll have to try to get on to some relatives, see if it rings any bells. Relatives are sure he never married but that he lived with a lady in Llanhilleth.

There's a problem with Alice Powell. A lady got in touch with me who is the daughter of Alice's sister. She said her mother's maiden name was Powell so of course Alice would have had to have been Powell also. She's sure that Alice married Thomas because they lived so close to Alice, though she believes that Thomas died early and she never met him herself.

Alice might not have been her first name but I did a marriage search myself and the only Welch I could find who married a Powell was a William Welch. As I said my William never married.

Thanks so much for your help, afraid it's looking like some of these will be hard or impossible to find. 

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 November 12 14:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm fairly confident that the 1911 census was for James the record shows he was born in Pontypool, I quess he said that to others as the nearest recognisable place. On find my past there are 3 Army service records that seem to refer to him,  I've only managed a quick look as there are too many pages to go through but it looks like he joined the South Wales Borderers Militia in 1903, then joined the SWB as a regular in 1904 but was found not to be medically fit. It would then appear he joined 2nd Battalion: The Royal Irish Regiment, in Cork 1905 and did nearly 9 years. He left the Army in 1913.

Nothing more to add on the others I'm afraid.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Claire-M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 November 12 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much that's a great help and some really interesting information.
Thank you.

Offline jrc11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 November 12 18:43 GMT (UK) »
This may help:
Alice D Welch b Jul-Sep 1919. Mothers maiden name Powell. Ref Bedwellty Vol 11A page 131.
Campbell Roscommon
Miles Wiltshire
Hitchings Wiltshire
Hole Somerset
Shaughnessy Roscommon

Offline jrc11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 November 12 19:10 GMT (UK) »
This may help or confuse; William Welch m Alice V Powell, q2 1918, Bedwellty Vol 11A p 201
Alice Violet Powell b q2 1895 Bedwellty 11A p 77
No other Welch/Powell marriages identified in Bedwellty 1913 (when spouses names began to be shown) and 1920. Apart from birth previously mentioned 2 other Welch births with mother's  name Powell in Bedwellty 1913 -1930.  Rub E.V. q1 1915 Vol 11A p189, Gwendoline H q2 1924 11A p 124.
In 1901 Alice V @ 34 Vivian St Abertillery.
regards
Campbell Roscommon
Miles Wiltshire
Hitchings Wiltshire
Hole Somerset
Shaughnessy Roscommon

Offline Claire-M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 12 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I had found the marriage you mentioned and that did confuse things as family are sure that the William Welsh/Welch in our family never married and that Alice married Thomas.

Alice and Thomas had a daughter Doreen who I believe was Alice Doreen born 1919 in Bedwelty, who married Thomas Gardner.

The last line of your comment - 1901- is that the census your talking about?

Thank you.

Offline jrc11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 November 12 22:10 GMT (UK) »
25/12/1908 @ St Michael's Abertillery Hannah May Welch of 44 Bishop St  m Christopher Banks of 9 Bishop St Abertillery. Her father Thomas Welch. It begins to look as if some names have got distorted over time.
Campbell Roscommon
Miles Wiltshire
Hitchings Wiltshire
Hole Somerset
Shaughnessy Roscommon