Author Topic: Need to find a couple of ca 1820 wills  (Read 2085 times)

Offline villandra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need to find a couple of ca 1820 wills
« on: Saturday 24 November 12 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I have in my notes mention of two wills.  No source where it came from nor what kind of will.

I need to know how I might locate the wills.   I do have that they are not the ones of wealthy people for whom only an index still exists.

William Allen, died Tuam, 1825, left a will.
Henry Allen, left a will in 1819  Gortnashinane (Gortnashingaun), Parish of Kilcummin. 

(In 1838 my 3x great grandparents had a child born at Oughterard.  Unclear why they were still in Co Galway since they married at Tuam in 1837 and he was RIC.   Then in 1851 William Allen leased part of Rinnerroon, next to Gortnashingaun.   His representatives had that land in 1892.   And no other Allens appear in the vicinity in the Tithe Applottment or Griffiths. )

Yours,
Dora

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Need to find a couple of ca 1820 wills
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 12 10:09 GMT (UK) »
The vast majority of historic Wills, administrations, probates etc were destroyed during the Battle of Dublin during the civil war in 1922. Any surviving documents will be available in the National Archives.

see : Battle of Dublin / Explosion at the Four Courts  (Wikipedia)

In some cases abstracts/summaries, indexes or Calender listings may still be available. The National Archives has created an index where either the will, probate or at least some associated documents do survive. This is available on a card index in the archive, and also on a CD (from Eneclann). I believe a copy of the same list may be available on FindMyPast.ie (pay-website).

see also : Wills & Testamentary Records  (National Archives)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline villandra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need to find a couple of ca 1820 wills
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 November 12 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for telling me where the wills are likely to be; that could prove to be very helpful down the road.

I already looked at the PRONI web site, before realizing that, even before 19whenever, it only indexes three regions of northern Ireland, as it says on the other page you sent me to.

I specifically found those wills in some index somewhere, and that's what information I need to recover.  This page might say where the wills are but not where the indexes are where I would have found them.

I think it actually is likely that I found it on the Irish origins web site.  There are wills indexes there.   

Thanks!

Yours,
Dora Smith