Author Topic: Perranwell - site of arsenic works 1815-1850  (Read 4679 times)

Offline prodda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Perranwell - site of arsenic works 1815-1850
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 November 12 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Barb - that field would certainly fit the bill. From the ariel view on GM there appears to have been more activity in that field than any of those surrounding it. I've never noticed any industrial remains but have never really looked for them. When the weather improves I'll go and have a look. I also noticed on GM that there was some activity on the other side of the creek (to the left of the field in question) - it may be nothing but I'll have a look at that also.

Cheers
Phil

Offline prodda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Perranwell - site of arsenic works 1815-1850
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barb

Went for a stank around Perranwell today to see if I could find the elusive arsenic works. I specifically targeted the field you identified on GM as a possible site. The field is quite steep and runs down to the stream (Trewedna Water on GM) and is unremarkable except for half a dozen mounds of foliage/bramble etc in the middle. They look to me as if they were used to fill something in but I’ve no idea what and there’s nothing to suggest there’s any connection with the arsenic works.

At the bottom of the field there is a low hedge that separates the field from the stream about 20 metres away. However, on the other side you can see it’s an old wall (not a Cornish hedge) which runs parallel to the field and down to the waters’ edge. The land there is quite boggy but underneath the trees I found some remains of what would appear to be substantial structures (in the places where 1880/1890 old maps suggested there were buildings).  There are no other structures either site of the stream in that area so I think we must have found what is left of the arsenic works!

I’ve taken some photos but as I’m not sure of the form for putting them on this site, I will PM you to let you know how to access them.

Cheers
Phil