Author Topic: Data Conventions - Dates [Resolved]  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Data Conventions - Dates [Resolved]
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm with KGarrad, of course if nostrodamus had predicted what GedCom standards were to be then, I would have known how to present my dates in 1960,and the registrars would have known in 1840 and the parish priests would have known in 1750.  And anyway GEDCOM does not allow the popularly used 1751/2 type years for the period when the calendar changed (as pointed out in an earlier post).
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 15:03 GMT (UK) »
The only other point to mention, is that before an event is entered you must have and accept that record however improbable it may seem, until such time as you find better evidence. The notes is the place to write why you think a date ot other event is not what is recorded.

I don't understand what you mean by this.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 16:02 GMT (UK) »
And anyway GEDCOM does not allow the popularly used 1751/2 type years for the period when the calendar changed (as pointed out in an earlier post).
From the GEDCOM standard mentioned in my earlier post:
DATE_CALENDAR_ESCAPE: = {Size=4:15}
[ @#DHEBREW@ | @#DROMAN@ | @#DFRENCH R@ | @#DGREGORIAN@ |
@#DJULIAN@ | @#DUNKNOWN@ ]
The date escape determines the date interpretation by signifying which <DATE_CALENDAR> to use. The default calendar is the Gregorian calendar.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 16:34 GMT (UK) »
My guess is that the various software packages have used the GEDCOM standards as their starting point; after all they need to be able to export and import data as GEDCOM in order to exchange information.

Well done Graham, you have found exactly what I was looking for and this outlines things very clearly. There is definitely a standard to abide by, what has surprised me with some of the responses here, is statements like, "Do whatever suits you" or words similar to that effect, this can only amount to "Genealogical anarchy".

The only other point to mention, is that before an event is entered you must have and accept that record however improbable it may seem, until such time as you find better evidence. The notes is the place to write why you think a date ot other event is not what is recorded.

I am now happy to mark this thread [Resolved].

Robert…

Genealogical Anaarchy is when program makers dictate to genealogists and family historians how they have to record information.
Genealogical information has been recorded for generations before computers were ever thought of and will be recorded generations after comuters have been consigned to the technological scrap heap.
Even as we write these exchanges gedcom is out of date and is being sidelined by more and more porgrams.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Agree with Guy, Sloe and the others...
Surely the important thing is to make sure you have a source and/note against each date event? 
Adding an event without even a date is well.... asking for trouble!  By all means add a personal note against the person  as a reminder or add a "to do" for verification but adding the event without any source or note is more worrying than being concerned over convention standards in my book. Whener you use abt/bef/aft/circa is your choice. Personally I use ones my software doesn't chuck back at me in bold red!  ;D

How you write it is your choice, true many FH software programs try to dictate how we write the date but so long as you know your format and the person you send it to knows it, why should it matter to anyone else?  As well as my FH program,  I still keep a copy on excel with masses of notes! which I often refer back to as it contains lots of my check points and sources. Its a bit messy but its readable and also correct. It says more about me as the family historian if its a bit quirky  ;D

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 November 12 07:40 GMT (UK) »
To GrahamSimons:

Thank you for this information.

In the past Gregorian has been presented as YYDDD.  The 1751/2 convention is from when years began to start on 1st January instead of 1st April and covers the time when UK changed from Gregorian to Julian, so having one date escape for the whole tree would not be a solution, and having to specify the format of each date individually would be more than tiresome.
Kitching 1850,

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
  • Georgiana Smith, my great-grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 November 12 13:21 GMT (UK) »

In the old calendar, the year started on 26 March (not April 1).

WinReg, the program used for FreeReg transcribing makes you put eg 1750/1751.

I think the OP was labouring under the misapprehension that Rootschatters are profressional genealogists!
Bridge: GT Catworth, Hunts, and surrounding area
French: Blisworth,  and W. Northants

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 November 12 14:32 GMT (UK) »
To GrahamSimons:

when UK changed from Gregorian to Julian,

In the old calendar, the year started on 26 March (not April 1).

Calendar changes for England and Wales

The last Julian calendar day was 2 September 1752 the first Gregorian calendar day was 14 September 1752
(the days between these dates were omitted)                                     
Between approx 1200 and 1752 the year started on 25th March, from 1752 every year started on 1st January

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 29 November 12 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I am sure I have seen dual years quoted on many years other than 1751/2 - presumably that new New Years Day did not quickly enter the heads of all recorders.
Kitching 1850,