Author Topic: Amsterdam: Help with Van Oogen please.  (Read 2977 times)

Offline barum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amsterdam: Help with Van Oogen please.
« on: Tuesday 27 November 12 23:26 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the history of my Great Grandmother, Cornelia Van Oogen born in Amsterdam circa 1838, her Father John Van Oogen born circa 1810 came from Amsterdam (all according to various census).
John worked in a Liverpool shipping office along side my Great Grandfather Thomas Walker Wright, I assume that is how he met Cornelia.

I have tried the Genlias site which starts off in English but the results appear to be negative and are in Dutch.

Any help very much appreciated.

barum.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Amsterdam: Help with Van Oogen please.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Not everything is on Genlias. In particular, only some records for the big cities (including Amsterdam). There are not currently, I think, any births or deaths there for Amsterdam.

Also, you should search under surname "Oogen", and put van as a prefix (or leave it off).

Amsterdam also have their own archives:
https://stadsarchief.amsterdam.nl/archieven/archiefbank/indexen/index.nl.html
"Bevolkingsregisters 1851-1853" is some sort of census/population register and a Cornelia Petronella (van) Oogen is listed there (b. 22-07-1839) - multiple listings, possibly having lived at multiple addresses over those two years?  No sign of John (or variants) b. 1810 but perhaps he went to the UK ahead of his family?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you,

This site never ceases to amaze me, you have found her, her middle name was Petronella.
Does it say anything about the mother? I know she had a sister Rebbecca Hermina born about 1955.
Rebbecca married Pieter Borsbroom Van der Vlies in the uk in 1854 but I can found no further trace of them, perhaps they went back to Amsterdam.

regards

barum

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 12 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Found this on familysearch thanks to the link from Jorose (correct birth date of Rebecca there)

Continental Europe :  Netherlands, civil registration  :  browse through ...images  :   Noord-holland  :  Amsterdam

°  Rebecca Hermina :   Geboorten 2 jan.-26 mrt. 1834 -- Geboorten 2 jan.-27 mrt. 1834       (image 330 of 416)

° Cornelia Petronella :   Geboorten 1 jun.-18 aug. 1837 -- Geboorten 30 mei-17 aug. 1837     (image 297 of 420)

x Van oogen - Knoevink  :  Huwelijken 27 mei-14 okt. 1846    (image 308 of 417)

Mariage -  Amsterdam 26/08/1846  Van Oogen Jan &  Knoefinke Maria Agenesa (she signed with 'Knoevink)  -  short translation

Van Oogen Jan  -  born  Amsterdam,  44 years old,  no occupation
                             parents  :  Van Oogen Cornelis,  bargee
                                               Bakker Christina,  deceased

Knoevink Maria Angenesa  -  born Amsterdam,  48 years old,  no occupation
                                              parents  :  Knoevink Herman Hendrik,  deceased
                                                               Pinkers Eva,  deceased

marriage announcements on 16/08/1846 and 23/08/1846

recognizing (if this is the right word) by the parents  of  Knoevink Jansje  :  born in Amsterdam 24/08/1839
                                                          by the mother        Van Oogen Maria Christina  :  born Amsterdam 29/12/1831
                                                                           "            Van Oogen Rabecca Hermina :  born Amsterdam 14/02/1834
                                                                           "            Van Oogen Cornelia Petronella  :  born Amsterdam 23/06/1837

On  Rebecca and Cornelia's birth certificate  their father's occupation is : bargee  (schuitenvoerder)

The marriage announcements and the other births should also be on  Familysearch. Good luck

groetjes
Leen

Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 November 12 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I forgot something important,  on the marriage certificate states that due to illness of Jan, the marriage was taken place at his home.  He also wasn’t present at the marriage registration (Huwelijksaangifte)

I was curious because a wedding at home isn't a common thing, so I searched the 'Huwelijksbijlage'
Besides the birth extracts of Jan and Maria  there’s a statement of a doctor . A really great and amusing piece, I don’t think the doctor was very pleased with the marriage.

Translation of the doctor's statement:

The undersigned,  Med. Doc. , medical practitioner  in Amsterdam, declares that he was called to Jan Van Oogen, where he has found the aformentioned Van Oogen in such a weak and sickly state that leaving his home only can have a negative effect on his condition.  He can’t  conceal that it bothers him terribly, that due to his social position, not only to provide  his help in the so unfavorable given circumstances, but also to co-operate to make concluding a bond wich according to him, although it is from a social point of view,  as an legally committed abomination is noted  and which according to him only can to make the present circumstances for both and the childeren sustainable.

continental Europe  //  Netherlands  //  Netherlands civil registration 1792-1952  //  Browse through ..... images  //  Noord-Holland  //  Amsterdam

-  Huwelijksaangiften 1845-1846  //  image 436

-  Huwelijksbijlagen 1846, part 1  // image 1319, 1320,1321,1322,1323

-  Huwelijksafkondigingen 1846  //  image 516 and 520

Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 November 12 09:38 GMT (UK) »
You say Cornelia had a sister Rebecca Hermina Van Oogen b about 1855....
could the sister have been the one that Leen found ...Rebecca Hermina Van Oogen b 1834 ..??

.and this Rebecca is a daughter of Rebecca b 1834 ?

Rebecca Hermina Van Oogen b march qtr 1854    Liverpool  8b 466 .......or maybe a daughter of a brother of Cornelia ?

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 November 12 09:46 GMT (UK) »
This looks like the marriage of Rebecca Van Oogen b mar qtr 1854

www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
1892   HAMILTON George to VANGOGEN Rebecca at St Leonard , Bootle,   South Sefton   A5/1/38

Bootle is within Liverpool now,but was its own district in 1890`s ......

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 November 12 09:49 GMT (UK) »
maybe someone can find in 1901 census
George Hamilton
Rebecca Hamilton - aged 47 ish
and any children ....possibly with dutch christian names ??...maybe a Cornelia Hamilton ??

allan

Offline barum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 December 12 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Leen and thank you for all that information.

It seems that Jan was not expected to pull through and got married to legitimise the children. You have also found a 3rd child, Maria Christina.

I have Cornelia's marriage certificate to my Grt Grandfather in 1860, her father is shown as John, book keeper but not as deceased.

Garstonite,
I have a marriage of Rebbecca Hermima to Peter Borsbroom Van der Vlies, cigar manufacturer in Liverpool, 1854. Parents are John Van Oogen, Gentleman and William Henry Vander Vlies, merchant.
Then the marriage you have to George Hamilton in 1892, Rebbecca gives ger name as Van Oogen and is a widow, George as widower. John Van Oogen is now listed as deceased.
Interestingly one of the witness's to this second marriage was my grandfather's sister who would be Rebbecca's niece.

As I now have the Parents of John (Jan) Van Oogen that puts me on a further trail, all I have to do is get my head around the family search 763,000 images!

Many thanks both.