Author Topic: need help to find Sarah Hall's family- completed  (Read 2545 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
need help to find Sarah Hall's family- completed
« on: Wednesday 28 November 12 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a mystery here and I'm having difficulty sorting it out.

Sarah Hall supposed to be born about 20 Nov.1866 in Aghadowey. She went to America (range of dates from various records) and married c1891 (probably New York City) William Galbraith Reid. She died 1930 and he died 1939. I have the census records, details of children, etc.
All census records give place of birth as Ireland-
1900- Sarah Reid, Nov.1866
1910- Sarah Reid, age 42 [born c1868]
1920- Sarah Reid, age 46 [born c1874]

There are very few Halls in Aghadowey area (mostly in Ardreagh with some in the adjoining townland of Clarehill).

I have the following marriages (one couple may be her parents? or could she be illegitimate?)-
1846- James Hall to Elizabeth Torrens (Moneydig Presbyterian Church)
1847- John Hall to Nancy Milliken (Aghadowey Presbyterian Church)
1864- William Hall to Anne Ross (Aghadowey Presbyterian Church)
1869- Robert Hall to Ann Jane Templeton (Carnmoney)
1870- James Hall to Martha Crowe (Macosquin Presbyterian Church)

Have searched the civil registration index (www.familysearch.org) for a Hall female born 1864/1875 without being able to identify this Sarah Hall.

Can anyone find Sarah's birth and names of parents?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: need help to find Sarah Hall's family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 November 12 06:18 GMT (UK) »

There is an obituary in the Mount Vernon Daily Argus of 5 March 1930 which includes references to Sarah being born in Ireland and being the daughter of the late Mr and Mrs John Hall.

The full obituary is available on the FultonHistory website, I searched using Sarah Hall Reid as an exact phrase, 4 hits came back for both William and Sarah, the best obituary is the 4th hit:

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 November 12 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you've seen it already, but on www.italiangen.org, there is a marriage of Sara Hall & William Reidmann on 4 Jun. 1891 in Manhattan.  Any chance he changed his name?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 12 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for finding the obituaries. These confirm her father as John Hall and list a sister Elizabeth Hall still living in Ireland which means I've now identified Sarah Hall as the daughter of John Hall and Sarah Jane Torrens (married before 1845). Still no sign of her birth registration but she was either born beforfe 1864 or the birth not registered.

Shelly- just saw your message when I went to post my reply. As far as I know William was always known as Reid but will double-check with his great-nephew.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!