Author Topic: Gascoyne family  (Read 3285 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Gascoyne family
« on: Friday 30 November 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »

My Worksop cousin's ancestor (great-grandfather) is:

James Gascoigne, christened 01 Dec 1833, Hockerton, Notts
parents: Thomas Gascoigne and Mary
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NGX6-B2R

The children of the couple Thomas and Mary shown at FS are

John Gasking 1823 Maplebeck
William Gasking 1825 Maplebeck
Henry Gascoigne 1832 Hockerton
James Gascoigne 1833 Hockerton

In 1841, they are in Hockerton:

Thomas Gasking, 40
Mary Gasking, 40
Thomas Gasking, 12
James Gasking, 6
Emma Gasking, 1
Emma Gascoigne's birth was registered Jun Q 1840 in Southwell reg dist (covers Hockerton) so to be absolutely sure of Mary's surname, that should be got.

So Thomas and Mary are the great-great-grandparents of my third cousin.

There are other births to a different Thomas and Mary, in St Mary, 1818-1825. They match a marriage in Jan 1818 in St Mary: Thomas Gascoyne and Mary Bennett. They are Thomas and Mary Gaskin, 50, in St Mary in 1841.

There are also births in Nuthall to a Thomas and Mary couple. They are Thomas and Mary Gascoigne, 40 and 45, in Nuthall in 1841.

And there are a Thos and Mary Gascoign, 45 and 35, in Greasley in 1841.

I have just looked at 1851 (still in Hockerton), and Thomas Gaskin was born c1800 in Woodsetts, Yorkshire (just a couple of miles north of Worksop). Mary was born in Maplebeck, so that's likely where the marriage was.

Uh oh. I see the baptism of a Thomas Gaskin in 1800 in Anston, York (on today's map, North Anston and South Anston are a couple of miles from Woodsetts):
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NK7N-GJ2
-- son of Hannah Gaskin. I've just had to explain one unmarried-parents birth in the cousin's tree (on my side, my gr-grmother's sister's son) -- and now it looks like I've found them another one!

So I'm looking for Thomas Gascoigne / Gaskin(g) marrying a Mary, in Nottinghamshire or possibly over the border in Yorkshire, after which their first known child was born in 1823 in Maplebeck. Who was Mary?

If anyone has access to parish records not included at FS. ... Actually, Maplebeck marriages for that period are in batch M059561, and it's not there ... Hugh Wallis shows no batch for marriages in Woodsetts, Yorkshire.

I'd like to be able to tell my Worksop cousin who those Gascoigne great-great-grandparents were!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gascoyne family: who were Peter Barlow's grx3 grandparents?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 November 12 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From the Notts FHS marriage Cd

Thomas Gasking m Mary Taylor 4.10.1822 at Maplebeck, St Radegund

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gascoyne family
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 November 12 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Terrific! And so much shorter than the question. ;)

Thanks very much.  :)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gascoyne family
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 November 12 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh rats. And how many Mary Taylors were born in Nottinghamshire c1800? A few gazillion ...

Eakring is about two miles east of Maplebeck - Eakring is on Maplebeck Road and Maplebeck is on Eakring Lane ...

Might that be a reasonable possibility for Mary's birth?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NVHN-R32
06 Sept 1801, Mary daughter of Henry Taylor and Mary Taylor

Oh yay, in 1861 she is shown as born in Eakring. So I'm one set of greatx3 grandparents farther back for my cousin - thanks loads!