Author Topic: Adoptions before 1926  (Read 4207 times)

Offline layreader1810

• I am sorry my email are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I'm cool
    • View Profile
Adoptions before 1926
« on: Saturday 01 December 12 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
What was the usual way in which adoptions took place prior to it being legalised in 1926 the reason I asked is because my Mum was orphaned in 1919 in Willington Quay and was adopted/or taken in by the Murphy family in Welfield but as far as I can see there was no previous connection between the families. I was wondering if there are any avenues I could research to find out how this took place.
Dave
Anderson, Cairns, Cotman, Foster, Franklin, Galloway, Taylor, Washer

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
Re: Adoptions before 1926
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 December 12 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can you give us a bit more information on your Mom and the Murphy's to see if we can find e a connection, did your Mom go to an orphanage, did she have any brothers and sister if so what happened to them

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 December 12 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There may be no biological connection between the families - they may just have been friends. 

Prior to the introduction of legalised adoption, many families took in children who had been orphaned or whose mother had died.  A sort of "fostering" situation
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 December 12 16:07 GMT (UK) »
If your mum came under the Tynemouth Union,of which I think it may have the Northumberland archives in Newcastle have books for the boarding out minutes and entrance of children taken into their care,I am not sure if you can access them up to 1926 ,but I have accessed them up to the early 1920s,the minutes do not give any details other than the childs age and whom they were boarded out to,if your mum was brought to the workhouse there may be more details included,
Good luck,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline layreader1810

• I am sorry my email are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 December 12 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can you give us a bit more information on your Mom and the Murphy's to see if we can find e a connection, did your Mom go to an orphanage, did she have any brothers and sister if so what happened to them

Margp
Hi Margp my GF Elijah Galloway b. 1885 d. 1916 my GM Catherine Cairns b. 1882 d. 1919 My mum Joyce Wilhelmina Galloway b. 1914 d. 1992.
I haven't started researching the Murphys yet but my GF James William Murphy b. 1893 d. 1972 Gm Sarah J S (I don't know maiden name) My Mum had 1 brother Robert Cairns Galloway b. 1909 d. (He died young but I'm unable to find out where or when) She also had 2 sisters Margaret E Galloway b. 1910 d. 1915 & Catherine Galloway b. 1913 d. 2010 that's about all I have at the moment. Many thanks for your interest Dave
Anderson, Cairns, Cotman, Foster, Franklin, Galloway, Taylor, Washer

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 December 12 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Robert C Gallaway
estimated birth 1910
death registered Newcastle Upon Tyne September 1922
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 December 12 10:40 GMT (UK) »
James W Murphy married Sarah J S Knight
July Qtr 1913
Reg Tynmouth
Vol 10b
Page 620
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich