Author Topic: Bennion of Ruabon  (Read 5483 times)

Offline jc33a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bennion of Ruabon
« on: Sunday 02 December 12 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters, I have done extensive work on my English & Irish ancestors but now appear to have a Welsh ancestor as well - Robert Bennion born to John & Maria at Ruabon in 1708. I have checked the parish registers and the St Asaph wills, but there are huge holes in the family tree. Can anyone suggest good sources for 17th & 18th century Denbigh families?
John
Cherry, Hertfordshire
Benyon, Shropshire
Hockings, Devonshire
Keaveny, Ireland (Offaly, Galway)
Webb, Gloucstershire (Coaley)
Lawlor, Ireland (Laois)
Russell/Leitch, Ireland (Tyrone/Donegal)
Yore, Ireland (Meath)
Etherington, Yorkshire (East Riding)
Dowling/Dooling, Ireland (Dublin)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bennion of Ruabon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 December 12 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Who or what are you looking for here?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 December 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
http://freespace.virgin.net/jill.farndon25/B.html

this is a good index to names in Clwyd PRs
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jc33a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 December 12 23:10 GMT (UK) »
William, I have my Benyon/Benion line back to Robert Benion who married Esther Parkes at Ruyton XI Towns, Salop in 1736 and am trying to trace him. The closest match appears to be the Robert born to John at Ruabon in 1708, although the name John does not appear in the sons of Robert at Ruyton (Thomas, Edward, Robert).  There are some traces of Bennion on the Ruabon register back to 1640, but not a complete tree. It suggests the following:
1641: Robert to Thomas;
1658: Grace to Thomas
(abt 1650): Cadwalader to Thomas??
1687: Thomas buried
1678:: John to Cadwalder
1682: Gwen to Cadwalder
1708: Robert to John & Maria
1736: Mary buried
There are also 12 entries at Wrexham from 1681 to 1782 which are probably in this family, and a few at Gresford.
The Ruabon register goes back to 1557, but with only one entry in 1641 in up to 1658, I suspect the family probably came from elsewhere. I have extensive records on the Bennions at Whitchurch, Oswestry and Shrewsbury in Salop and wonder if they originated there.
The Bennions of Ruabon appeared gto live at 'Plas Bennion' and I wonder how old that place name is (iei pre or post 1650).

Any thoughts?
John

Cherry, Hertfordshire
Benyon, Shropshire
Hockings, Devonshire
Lawlor, Ireland (Laois)
Yore, Ireland (Meath)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 December 12 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Plas Bennion is between Acrefair and Ruabon.It is just before the entrance to the Plas Madoc Housing Estate,about a mile and a half from where I write this.I hope you haven't been looking at the Whitchurch Baptisms?Apparently the ones before 1700 are pretty unique!There is no mention of the mother on them!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline jc33a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 December 12 00:23 GMT (UK) »
William, delighted to talk to a real Welsh Jones! My wife is a Jones (although we can't get her family back any earlier than 1620 in Nantwich, Cheshire).  My current research question is what came first - the Bennions to Ruabon, or the place name Plas Bennion? I suspect the former given the absence of the name from the early Ruabon rgister (although I am yet to check for Ap Eigneon etc).
John
Cherry, Hertfordshire
Benyon, Shropshire
Hockings, Devonshire
Lawlor, Ireland (Laois)
Yore, Ireland (Meath)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 December 12 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I will find out more about the origins of the name and place of Plas Bennion.It will take me a day or two.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 December 12 12:31 GMT (UK) »
This is Chirk Castle Accounts, you can`t download it, and some pages are missing.

It is searchable  ( if the link doesn`t get you to the right page) and you can read it from the beginning,
 http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-rS8AAAAIAAJ&q=bennion#v=snippet&q=bennion&f=false

There are 4 mention  of Plas Bennion, but the Mary Bennion  page 339 is missing .
Page 340 is dated 1702.

William Lloyd of Plas Bennion in the parish of Ruabon, 2nd son of Joseph Lloyd Esq of Killoskehan Tipperary , who left him lands in Ruabon (and also a seat in the parish church  which he bought from his cousin John Hughes for £51 ) in which at the end of the field called Cae Ennion in 1685 he built the house now called Plas Bennion, but there had long before been an old house there

Edward Lloyd,  Plas Bennion  will  1711
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 December 12 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I note that in the CFHS transcription of the baptism of Robert, the abode is given as Moreton Above. 

I always have difficulty finding the exact location of the township of Moreton Above  - is/was Plas Bennion in Moreton Above? 

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***