Author Topic: Evans family of Wolverton  (Read 753 times)

Offline benrita

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evans family of Wolverton
« on: Sunday 02 December 12 14:18 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather William Evans, who worked as a railway coach painter at the Wolverton Carriage Works in the period 1871-1896 died on 29 March 1896 at 2 Radcliffe Street,aged 60; and my great grandmother Ann Evans died on 12 June 1905 at 44 Cambridge Street,aged 62. Please could somebody be good enough to look in a local paper of that time, possibly the Wolverton Express or Bucks Standard, to see if there was an obituary notice or the like relating to either one or both of them. Many thanks.

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
Re: Evans family of Wolverton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 December 12 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi benrita,

I popped into Milton Keynes Library today and had a poke around for your Evanses. Sadly all negative news I'm afraid.

Please remember that this is the first time I've tried using microfiche so I may have missed something. I will be going back again so there is still hope.

Although the online blurb says they have the Wolverton Express starting 1901 I could only find it 1930ish onwards so that was a bust.

The North Bucks Times is supposed to be there but the reels for 1895 and 1896 are missing. The 1905 reel is there but I couldn't find any sign of obituaries. That may have been just me being a newbie but I will go back to check again.

Sorry again for negative news but I thought it worth posting so others don't waste their time repeating my experiences.

Have you considered contacting the Milton Keynes Museum (http://www.mkmuseum.org.uk/)? They are situated just on the outskirts of Wolverton and have a great deal on the Wolverton railway works.
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline benrita

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evans family of Wolverton
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 December 12 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul  Thankyou for taking the trouble to investigate my family history in the Milton Keynes library. I am resigned to the fact that any obituaries may not have been published in the local papers. However I have the consolation of possessing copies of my great grandparents death certificates and a copy of my great grandmother's will.
  I wrote to the Milton Keynes museum in October with regard to the obituary question and they drew my attention to the titles of the two local newspapers and their whereabouts. However its not a short journey to MK from where I live , so I am very grateful to you for your efforts on my behalf.
  I also asked them about if they kept my great grandfather's Works record card in the records of the Wolverton Carriage Works as I had seen such a card relating to an Evans J on the mkheritage website  but  they were unable to tell me if his record card was in their records.
 Many thanks for your help. benrita.