Author Topic: Stanley Street Glasgow  (Read 5144 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Stanley Street Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 December 12 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I didn't realise there was once 3 stanley streets in Glasgow.
It is stated on her marriage certificate that she was a domestic servant living at 1 Stanley Street in 1874.Her husband lived in Warroch Street which is Anderston. She actually moved down to Glasgow from Wick & is not in Wick on the 1871 census. I haven't found her on 1871 census. I just summised she lived in the  Stanley Street Kinning Park which I went to see when I came up to Glasgow researching many years ago.
Regards Sossle

In addition to the Stanley Street in Kinning Park there was a Stanley Street in the Woodside area ,just north of the present City Centre,(later renamed Baliol Street) and also a Stanley Street in Govan off Craigton Road (later renamed Luss Road and Arthurlie Street). Of the three the Woodside one is possibly more likely to have been the type of area where servants were maintained and it is only about half a mile from Anderston.

Re Lambhill Street, Plantation yes it is near Kinning Park and it is just across the Clyde from Anderston.

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 December 12 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello & thank you both for your replies & help.
The witnesses were John Mclauchlan & Helen Campbell. I don't know either of these people & don't think they are related to Alexander & Jane.

Regards Sossle

Offline fix

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 June 13 21:11 BST (UK) »
just stumbled on this while looking for something else, if its any help I did live in stanley street and the present building was originally a bank building not sure which bank, I dont think it build before 1930 - but not 100% on that. I have seen some old maps of kinning park thru the hidden glasgow website and I think online at the virtual mitchell site. Hope this is of some help.

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 June 13 20:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying to my post. Just back from my holiday so was a nice surprise to get a reply

Regards Sossle

Offline gefling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 June 13 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Soosie,I have come across your chat about Jane Ryrie and Stanley St. My interest was taken by the mention of Alexander Robertson,Warroch St. My grandfather,William Robertson,was born at 9,Warroch St,in 1875. His Father was Alexander Robertson who lived there,too. He was born about 1832. He died in Warroch St in 1898. I wonder if your Alexander Robertson was related to mine..cousins? In those days,families lived close together and the naming rituals meant the same name repeated itself within families eg my Father was called Alexander Robertson,born 1911,too.

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 June 13 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes this is def the same family. Yes Williams Father was Alexander & his Mother Marion (nee Cochrane). They were my Grt Grt Grt Grandparents. Their son Alexander (married  Jane Ryrie) he was  born 1854. They also had a son Alexander (my Grt Grandfather)born 1875. He married Mary Margaret Storie Haddow in Glasgow but they moved to the Manchester area in 1898 the year my Grandmother was born. I have lots & lots of info on all the family. Yes Alexander (Williams Father )died at 9 Warrock Street in 1898 of acute bronchitis. His wife Marion died 1897 also at 9 Warrock Street. Your Grandfather William was one of 10 children. 2 died very young, Marion & Andrew. I have info that Alexander born 1832 was born Fenwick Ayr, his Father was also Alexander & his Mother Mary nee Barbour but I can't find any trace of them so Alexander & Marion is as far as I got . As I said I do have so much info on all the family
Cheers Sossle

Offline gefling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Soosie,Thankyou so much for replying. Your information was very interesting. As I said,my knowledge of my Father's family is very limited. I was stunned to discover that poor Marion had ten children! My grandfather,William,must have been one of the youngest..am I right?! Your Alexander one of the older children?
I am very sorry that my reply is so late but I have been on major grandmother duties. After a day spent with them,I am very tired!
I would be delighted to hear of any more information that you have.
Best Wishes,Gefling.

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 July 13 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Gefling,

You are correct, William was their last child to be born & Alexander (my Grt Grandfather) was the first born of Alex & Jane. I do have lots of info to pass on to  you including a photo of Marion & Alexander. I will PM you. Please let me know if you get my PM & I can give you lots of info on your (our) family
Kind Regards
   Sossle

Offline niccymae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 November 23 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've stumbled across this message thread whilst looking for information on my grandfathers address. His name Thomas Robertson Brennan born 1922. His mother was Catherine Brennan 1897 and lived at number 14 Stanley Street with his sister Elizabeth Brennan. The middle name of my grandfather was apparently the family name of his birth father. I know this is a little out there but do you think the families are connected. I have been trying to locate the Robertson's using Ancestry DNA.