Author Topic: charles stavely canada 1896  (Read 30008 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: charles stavely canada 1896
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 20:18 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has

C STANELY, female, born 1900, travelled Liverpool to Quebec City in 1920.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action?

It's off in more than one way, but I might check it out all the same!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Passenger record for a Charles Staveley

UK Incoming Passenger List 1878-1960
Bristol,England-1914
September Royal George Date of Arrival September 2/1914
Port of Embarkation Quebec
Port At Which Passengers have Landed Avonmouth

British Reservists
Staveley Charles
3Rd E Lancs
Age 25
Country of Last Permanent Residence Canada
Country of Intended Future Permanent Residence England

This passenger record puts his DOB as 1889. The military record I mentioned previously indicates he was in the Territorial Force.

Anneelaine if you could please let us know where your mother was born that would be a great big help in finding Charles.Was she born Canada or England.

You mentioned Charles wanted to take your mom to Canada about 1922 could you please clarify this information...as I'm not sure I am following you. Are  we to believe he was her father.  Please help us out here....want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

Can you get a good look at the bars on his uniform...can you make out what it says. This uniform looks like it could be British.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
What I'm understanding is:

Charles and anneelaine's mum's mother met during the war in about 1917.
He was in the military (English? Canadian?)
They weren't married.
anneelaine's mother was born as a result of their relationship.
(I'm going to call her mother Jane for convenience.)

Either there is info about Charles on Jane's birth certificate, or Jane's mum told her things about Charles, like that he was Canadian and that he was a violin maker and maybe his age.

Charles went back home after the war or went to Canada even if he was not from Canada.

Charles returned to England, or at least went back to see Jane's mum in England, and wanted to take Jane to Canada, but did not.

I think we are pretty sure that anneelain'es mum was born in England, to unmarried parents, and her father was in the military in WWI.

That passenger record looks like that Charles had been in the reserve forces in the UK, had emigrated to Canada, and returned to England as part of a group of reservists returning to enrol in the regular forces? But how did he get to Canada, and when ...
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 21:05 GMT (UK) »
The uniform really does look just like this "Tommy tunic" to me, down to the patches and stitching on the upper chest. (Would Canadian uniforms have been so exactly the same?)

http://www.thehistorybunker.co.uk/acatalog/tommytunic300.jpg

Offline anneelaine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry guys missed the E out a few times Steveley the right spelling. ::)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 00:06 GMT (UK) »
C'mon, anneelaine.

STEVELEY?

You do mean STAVELEY?

What I've been getting at is that the name could have been STAVELY, though, and the spelling might even have varied. And it could have depended on what the person spelling it knew -- for instance, your mum's mother might have thought it was spelled Staveley, even if it was Stavely.

Really, though, spelling counts, for names, when you are asking questions, even just so we know who spelled a name how, and when.

Is there any chance you might answer the several questions that have been asked?

It was even pointed out to you in your older Genforum post that if you don't give the informatin you have, people aren't likely to be able to help.

We don't know what you know. If you want us to help, you have to tell us what you know. The story is very clear to you, but you have not told it clearly.

Was my summary correct? --

Charles and anneelaine's mum's mother met during the war in about 1917.
He was in the military (English? Canadian?)
They weren't married.
anneelaine's mother was born as a result of their relationship.

-- is that correct?

-- maybe you could just give us your mum's first name so we have a way to refer to her

Either there is info about Charles on anneelaine's mum's birth certificate, or annelaine's mum mother told her things about Charles, like that he was Canadian and that he was a violin maker and maybe his age.

-- where does the information come from?

Charles went back home after the war or went to Canada even if he was not from Canada.

Charles returned to England, or at least went back to see anneelaine's mum in England, and wanted to take her to Canada, but did not.

I think we are pretty sure that anneelain'es mum was born in England, to unmarried parents, and her father was in the military in WWI.

?

And *where* in England did all this happen? It probably doesn't really matter, as Charles would have been away from home (wherever home was) while in the military, but it could still be of interest.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I did look at all the alternate spellings of the name Stavely/Staveley/Steveley and they are all used in the various census info so the name could be spelled any of the above at any given time.

Thank you lilybell for the passenger list info. If he left from Quebec, then I am going to assume that if Charles was born in Canada it is a good possiblity (not 100%) that it was in the province of Quebec.

The 1921 census of Canada is to be released in 2013 and perhaps that may shed more light on the elusive Chas. It could be quite some time before the transcriptions take place and it may only be head of household. We won't know until the info is actually released.

Anneelaine
It can be hard to put some information down on paper especially if some of what JaneyCanuck says is true. We are here to help you find the information you seek. Just remember that anything you can provide will help us.

Good luck in your search and I will contiue to look for information for you.
Val

Offline anneelaine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Right here we go ,
my mums name was Gladys born in Manchester 1918
her Grandmother told her all the info about Charles,
she saw him in 1922 when he came to her house she was age 4
she was told he wanted to take her to Canada to live
she was living with her grandmother and aunt ,
 she did not know that at the time that her Grandmother was not her mum till she was 21 years old
Charles sent money each month for her keep to her Grandmother
I would love anyhelp
thanks anneelaine

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for letting us know the story.  :)

This won't help with the search today, but it's something to keep in mind.

Are there any relatives who might have old photos or letters?  Sometimes letters contain family names, and just day-to-day events (that could provide additional clues).

If Charles was sending money, he may have written letters as well.  Maybe someone in the family might have even kept old birthday or Christmas cards?  He obviously cared about his daughter and her mum so he could have corresponded.  We have several cards, from the early 1900's.  My aunt (my mum's side) saved a few and someone on my husband's side saved a few as well.

After many, many years of asking my aunt if she had any old photographs of her grandfather, one day I received a package.  It contained several photographs, including a photograph of her grandfather, his children and their families.  My aunt's cousin or second cousin had the photos!  Might there be someone in your family, whom you may not even know, who might have old family documents?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)