Author Topic: charles stavely canada 1896  (Read 29999 times)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: charles stavely canada 1896
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 00:31 GMT (UK) »
The birth certificate that you found - was it for your mother or for Charles Stavely and exactly what information was on it. It is surprising what we can find with a little bit of information.

In what year was your mum 4 and where was she living.

I haven't been able to find Attestation Papers for a Charles Stavely/Staveley born in Canada. If he did join in Canada it would appear that he has been badly mistranscribed.

I have checked census records and also nothing.

Do you know if he survived the war and returned to Canada or stayed in England?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Can you please tell us where in Canada the birth cert says he was born and the date (assuming here you were talking about Charles' birth cert and NOT your Mom's). Also, anything else it has on it might provide a clue to help things along.

There is no central birth registry in Canada. Births are a provincial responsibility and knowing which province he was born in is going to impact what info will be available on line.

Polarbear

Snap - well it is typed now so I will post it. We do need the birth cert info, assuming it's Charles', as valeriec and I have both mentioned  :)
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline anneelaine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello no it was my mums birth cert  we found after she passed away
All i have is  He was born in about 1896 from canada in the army batman in 1917 and he was a violin maker
 And thats it not a lot he came back to the uk in 1922 to try and take my mum back to canada
so she thinks she was only 4 years old
 I am looking now she said to me i wish i looked for my dad years ago sad but passed away soon after o dear.
thanks Anneelaine

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 03:08 GMT (UK) »

May I ask where was your mom born was born...was it in Canada.

I seem to be getting a bit lost here.

I found a passenger record for a Charles Stavely...says he was a British Reservist with 3rd E Lancs...looks like it could be him.

He was 25 years old...record was for 1914. Canada last country of permanent residence....England country of intended permanent residence.

I can forward the record on to you if you PM me with your email.Makes his DOB 1889.

Lilybell :) :)
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 04:49 GMT (UK) »

Have found a WW1 military file for a Charles Staveley born 1897.

His permanent address was Bowling Green Cottage,Stonegate,Yorks.

His records indicate that he was a farm worker.

The records also listed his next of kin as his father, John Staveley, Munston Hall Cottage, Munston, Filey, Yorkshire.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I think it might be a good idea to post your lovely picture on the RootsChat general Armed Forces Board and ask if anyone can ID it, especially in light of the recently found passenger info.

I have also sent you a PM.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 14:52 GMT (UK) »
The following site shows a drawing that is similar to your photo.  It includes the "rifle patches" shown in your photo.  When in France, the CEF uniforms were found to be too tightly fitting so the CEF eventually issued "British pattern" jackets.  I have not yet seen any drawings or photos that include the "bar" that is on the shoulder.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0sgf/
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 15:12 GMT (UK) »
The "bar" on the shoulder may have been called a Shoulder Title.  Looking on the internet, for sale is a WWI brass metal shoulder title.  It has a similar shape as the one in your photo and this one is "W Yorkshire".

Update:  looking at other items for sale, the shoulder title that is most similar to the photo appears to be Warwickshire.  I have not yet found metal shoulder titles, similar to the one in the photo, for Canadian uniforms.

To add further confusion, yes there is a metal shoulder title for Canadian uniforms.  It is quite similar in shape to the one in your photo, and simply states "CANADA".
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 18:34 GMT (UK) »
For info:

The birth of a Charles Staveley was registered in March quarter 1897 in Bridlington. He died in 1981 in Scarborough (dob 1 December 1896).

There was also a Charles Henry Staveley birth registered in March quarter 1894 in Bridlington. He died in 1984 in Scarborough.

The two births closest to 1889 were

- Charles Staveley 1887 in Burnley
(married 1909 in Burnley; there don't seem to be children or a death for him in England)

- Charles Arthur H Staveley 1891 in Sculcoates
(married 1914, had two children, died 1967 in Holderness)

FindMyPast shows no Staveley at all travelling out of the UK between 1912 and 1939 (and no male Staveley travelling to Canada ever), so if he was in England around 1922 ... did he stay?

Charles William STAVELY, birth registered June quarter 1895 Newcastle, married in 1922 died 1986 in Gateshead ...
(had one child, who had two children; his wife's death was registered as Staveley)
That would fit with the age, and with a return to England in 1922.

anneelaine -- it would help so much if you would give us the facts that you have and we do not.

You don't have to give your mum's name, but the YEAR and PLACE she was born would be very useful information.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?