Author Topic: searching for Candie .....  (Read 4482 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: searching for Candie .....
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 December 12 08:08 GMT (UK) »
The only Candie in the Aberdeenshire Poll Book is the one in Kennethmont. This is definitely the correct one. "Toune" or town does not mean a town in the standard current English sense, but a collection of houses at the centre of a pre-enclosure farm. There might be tradesmen living there as well as those working the land.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 06 December 12 08:21 GMT (UK) »
There's a place called Condie (or maybe Path of Condie) near Dunning in Perthshire

Absolutely right. But Path of Condie is a very long way from any part of Aberdeenshire, either the real one or the modern version.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 06 December 12 17:37 GMT (UK) »
The only Candie in the Aberdeenshire Poll Book is the one in Kennethmont. This is definitely the correct one. "Toune" or town does not mean a town in the standard current English sense, but a collection of houses at the centre of a pre-enclosure farm. There might be tradesmen living there as well as those working the land.

Thats something I did not know ,   So , if I had another ancestor who lived at  " Milne of Barns " do you know what that means ........or where it is ??? ::)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 December 12 18:39 GMT (UK) »
The Mill of Barnes is in Premnay on the Gadie Burn about two miles south east of Insch. It is still there and on Roy's map of the mid 18th century it appears as a small group of buildings by the Gadie with cornfileds round about it. There was a corn mill there, but also farming land. If you look at the entire entry for the Mill in the Poll Book it will name the miller, but also the others living there, some of whom will work the land or be tradesmen (weavers, shoemakers or the like).

You will find Roy's map on the National Library of Scotland maps site. Click on Military Maps, then Roy's map of the Highlands.

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 December 12 22:01 GMT (UK) »

I appreciate the information , it helps me to understand a lot more about the small communities  around the Premnay area , and how to read the Poll Book if I am trying to find a person within it .           

Melanie

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 December 12 07:32 GMT (UK) »
"Drumlithie is now included in the expanded "Aberdeenshire" following council reorganisation. It was not in the historic Aberdeenshire before the 1970s."

"Which old map(s) in particular put(s) Drumlithie in the County of Aberdeen before the latest reorganisation of local authorities?"

Points taken and accepted. It is how the NLS has the map "search" engine set up.

Regards

Malky

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 December 12 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Isobel Naughtie, spouse to William Burnett, in Candie, 27 Feb 1685

This has been niggling with me for while, but I've finally got there, and it is not relevant to the orginal query. I have in my tree a family of Stewarts who were in Candy, parish of Glenbervie, in the 1841 census. It is here http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NO7980 but there are no images of it so far. This Candy is firmly in Kincardineshire and has nothing to do with the List of Pollable Persons in the (real proper historical) Aberdeenshire/County of Aberdeen.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 December 12 15:50 GMT (UK) »
You will get a "Street view" on Google Earth. One complete house, several semi derelict buildings, one barn, and two newish sheds.

Regards

Malky

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 December 12 16:01 GMT (UK) »
And the Kennethmont one.

Regards

Malky