Author Topic: Ashmore family  (Read 17668 times)

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ashmore family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 October 13 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine
Do you know what part of Carlow your Ashmores are from. One of my ancestors, Dorinda Jones, married a James Ashmore in 1854. He was from Corries, Bagenalstown, Co Carlow. I believe there are still a number of Ashmores in this area.
Regards
Charlie
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Offline elaine bennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 October 13 01:31 BST (UK) »
hi charlie ,john ashmore was born in carlow ireland in 1829 married eliza holt daughter of john &anne holt [[nee ireton at bagenalstown in 1856,they were married in the morning and left that night aboard the ramillies ship for australia .Ido not know of any family of john,s left back in Ireland ,it is my wish to travel to Ireland and seek out more family .In 2008 we had a family reunion and saw so many family of john & eliza,s it was good to meet them and change info .Ido have info on a william ashmore who waas a landlord for the earl of bessborough in a town called Raheenwood [near Bagenalstown .he also held land for a henry bruen he was a prominent land owner in the rural area of skahanrane in lorum parish .   thank you charlie for your input may hear from you again cheers elaine  :D :)

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 October 13 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine

Corries House is only about 10 minutes walk from Lorum. I had been there working about 2 years ago not knowing there was any family connection.
Also on the marriage cert for James and Dorinda, one of the witnesses is a John Ashmore .I assumed dad but could be brother. We had thought it strange how they could have met as Bagenalstown is about 45 min to an hour away by car on good roads. What must the journey have been like in the 1800s. Though my ancestors seem to have had a few links to Bagnelastown through the years right to this day. I always find it strange how history seems to repeat itself.

My brother may have more info on the Ashmores

All for now
Regards
Charlie
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Offline elaine bennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 October 13 06:36 BST (UK) »
hi charlie i do have photo,s of john & eliza if you like i can send you one through my email address .elainebennett2@bigpond.com .the family went through hardship living in chinchilla first then going to dalby qld ,my grandfather was edward thomas ashmore ,he was the head of telecom known in the 1900 as postal workers union ,he was a labor senator ,very prominent man always looking to help the under dog .,he fought in ww1 along with 3 brothers and 3 cousin,s only 3 came home i have done his war story which was printed on the internet ,my grandfather never told of his time in the war ,it was not until his son reg ashmore who was chief inspector of police in qld that started the tree that i knew of the history of the ashmore,s .Itook over the tree in 2007 as my uncle reg was diagonised with dementia .he died 5 years ago .,a fantastic person who was always there for me when both my parents died ,feel free to give you info on the ashmore and photo,s if you like ,i live at hasting,s point nsw ,i still have 3 gt aunts who tell me stories of the ashmore,s i love listening to the history ,the oldest is 103 ,next is 97 and gt uncle 99 2 other aunts both in there 80,s amazing memories .have some on tape ,cheers elaine