Author Topic: Help needed - Totally lost  (Read 3467 times)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed - Totally lost
« on: Monday 03 December 12 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone the National Burial Index for Carmarthen. Another wrong Cert.arrrived today.
1851 Census has Mother-in-law Elizabeth David age 92 with Hector Howell and Margaret Howell at Bres Cottages, Greenfields Terrace, Llanelly.
Freebmd has only one death at Llanelly for a Elizabeth David btwn 1851/61.  I assumed wrongly that this would be for Elizabeth David (Widow of John David and Mother of Margaret Howell nee David) Age perhaps 93/94.
The Cert that arrived this morning is for a Elizabeth David age 98 Widow of William David. Address given as Bridge Street, Kidwelly. Occupation is Stone Mason of William.
Cannot find Elizabeth David with her daughter on 1871 Census which would be stretching it but not unheard of.
Any help to sort this problem. Have had too many Certs over years but felt this one could be right. (How wrong was I). Would have expected Elizabeth to die when with daughter Margaret. Thank you. I live in hope. Syljun
P.S. My National Burial Index for England and Wales 2nd Edition purchased many years ago does not work on my laptop. Anyone with a recent edition? Sorry to go on but very annoyed with myself wasting more money.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed - Totally lost
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 December 12 23:08 GMT (UK) »
NBI 3rd ed has no Carmarthenshire records at all - I didn't know that and happily went off to look at mine for you!

From what I can tell the records are available at the Carmarthen Record office but not online:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Llanelli/#ChurchRecords

Hope you find what you are looking for: my great-great grandparents are buried in St Elli's churchyard.

Graham
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Graham. Looks as if next year will have to plan trip to Carmarthen Record Office. Charges are too high for a search. Syljun

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello syljun

I found the following.

Elizabeth David

Llanelly

J/A/S q

26 420

Elizabeth David

Llanelly

J/F/M q

11a 421.

Hope i`m not teaching you how to suck eggs but i to know how difficult
it is appling for Welsh Certs.I put in the letter giving Husbands name etc & apply to reverlant Register Office.

Is it  possible Elizabeth`s death was registered Davies.

Hope this helps in someway

Kind Regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Omega 1, Info I have is that on 1861 Census Elizabeth is with her daughter Margaret Howell at Bres Cottages Greenfields Terr. Llanelly. Down as Mother-in-law to head of house Hector Howell (Margaret's husband) Elizabeth 92. Only finding on Freebmd one Elizab :)eth David btwn 1861/71 Census thought I struck a winner, not that many living at that age at that time. You could be right about being reg. under Davies. Name change has caused a lot of trouble with research. Thanks again. Syljun  :)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Further to above I think you have the answer. Freebmd has death of Elizabeth Davies 1866 age 97 which fits in with birth year of 1769 so lived to a grand age. Will send to Record Office. Can you tell me the procedure as to ordering please, do we still have to send s.a.e. with cheque? Will have to look up Office it is a long time since I ordered anything from Carmarthen. Thanks, Sytljun

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Goodmorning syljun :)

I always enclose a SAE.

It may help also giving last known address if possible,anything that will help.

3xGreatgrandparents kept the surname David & Dear 2xGreatgrandfather changed to Davies between to census,so & so ::)

Good Luck with the Cert

Kind Regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Omega, I have sent an e-mail with all info, last address etc., so hoping to hear good news.
It is a pain when name changes. I have one Marr/Cert dated 1892 in name of Davies but 20yrs after a note in the margin  states surname change to David. I can only assume he found his Birth/Cert.
Regards,
Syljun   :)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 December 12 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi, heard from Carmarthen but disappointed to hear they charge £11.00 for copy of D/Cert. Thought they all charged the same. Seems a close match but family may have moved from Greenfields Terr. to Bryn, Llanelli which I understand is a Village outside of Llanelly. Syljun  :)