Author Topic: Simons  (Read 2633 times)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simons
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 December 12 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm... not my line but perhaps I can give a bit of background.

My Simons line arrived in the Llanelli area very early C19, but from Chester-le-Street and of Buckinghamshire origin. There is still a bit of untangling to do on them, but I think I've identified everyone of that family. The first man in that line was William Vazie Simons who was a coal owner and coal merchant in Twmbl, Trimsaran and Llanelli, perhaps elsewhere, died 1843.

Other Simons/Symons lines seem to be of Cornish origin - the mining connection. I suspect there is also, perhaps later in the C19, a Jewish Eastern European immigration also with the Simons surname. There may be other lines too....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline lazydaisy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Simons
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 December 12 21:52 GMT (UK) »

I have Symonds in my tree. So far so good ..... but I have also found it spelt with an 'i' instead of a 'y', one 'm' or 2, 'd'or no 'd' , 's' or no 's' on the end and any permutation possible :D

Think my branch originated in Herefordshire/Monmouthshire area - they are not direct ancestors

Certainly makes makes life difficult when trying to research.

Diane
Bevan familyTalgarth Brecon
Bevan family  Porth Glamorgan
Williams family  Monmouth
Williams family  Brecon
Herbert & Jenkins family  Brecon and Glamorgan
Gronow St Davids Pembrokessire