Author Topic: MacGowan/Fulton families Donaghadee- completed  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacGowan/Fulton families Donaghadee- completed
« on: Tuesday 04 December 12 10:46 GMT (UK) »
My g/aunt Louisa Jane MacGowan Fulton appears on the 1911 census in Donaghadee living at 99 Mount (Moat)Street, Donaghadee with John Charles Macgowan and Louisa Jane MacGowan (nee Arnold) as a visitor from South Africa.  I have been unable to establish the relationship between the Fulton family and the MacGowan's and would appreciate it if anyone could assist.
Her father, my g/grandfather, John Fulton (2/1/1854 - 21/8/1929) came out to South Africa from Ballycopeland in about 1890. He was married to an Elizabeth Harper from Donaghadee in 1891 in South Africa, but there appears to be no connection between her and the MacGowan family either.  I think that John was also previously married to an Agnes ? from Donaghadee born about March 1859 who died on 27 December 1887 in Jaggersfontein, South Africa.
I do hope that the above information is enough to establish the connections between the families.

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MacGowan/Fulton families Donaghadee
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Alas I think it needs more, heres what I dug out, starting with Ros Davies  Co Down website http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/
Ballycross   Donaghadee   15:57/80 a small townland 2km NW of Donaghadee; 83 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the cross' meaning crossroads; its ancient name was Ballenocross; contains a hill which is 135 above sea level; in 1659 there were 10 Scots/ English & 0 Catholic families here ; owned by Eliza Lowry in 1863   V17 p124 & V7 p45 OSM;SP; PNNI V2 p 181; GV I ask the question why Ballyblack

Miss Mary Ann FULTON Donaghadee & Newtownards   of Ballycopeland; daughter of William Fulton (a farmer); married Thomas McGilton of Ballycopeland 21 Nov 1870 at Ballyblack Presbyterian Church, witnesses were James Gunning & Ann McGilton ; mother of James b. 1871   PR; CR
Her parish maps show how Ballyblack townland is on the extreme east side of Newtownards civil parish and it adjoins the civil parish of  Donaghadee, but the townland of Ballycross is more northerly and touches the Bangor civil parish boundary.

Methodist Church in Mount St., Donaghadee town across from Church of Ireland.  A local tradition claims that the Methodists, converted by John Wesley on some of his many recorded visits to Donaghadee, constructed their place of worship on the site of his open air pulpit near the Parish Church. In 1836 this church was described as neat inside and capable of holding 300 people .The minister in 1843 was Rev. James Tobias and in 1863 Rev. Robert Hazleton. There was a National School adjacent in 1863. The minister in 1910 was Rev. J.W. Carrothers.  North of Ireland FHS (www.nifs.org) has baptisms 1825-1921 & marriages 1839-1921; graveyard separate; gravestones UHF Vol 17 References; V7 p 47 OSM; POD; GIC; GV ; POD

Then I looked at 1901 census which changes Sister in law  back to Sister
27 in Mount Street (Ballycross, Down)
MacGowan Thomas William 50 Brother Methodist Co Down Sub Postmaster Married, but to whom.   MacGowan John Charles 61 Male Head of Family Methodist-Co Down. Clerk of Petty Sessions Not Married   MacGowan   Louisa Jane 43 Female Sister Methodist born Armagh City No Occupation Married.  That born Co Armagh is  the clue.
I don’t know where you got the  [Louisa Jane MacGowan] Fulton in the 1911 typed version, I didn’t read Fulton anywhere on the census entry

In 1863 there are no MacGowan listed in Ballycross, unless they are very poor. indeed there are only 3 homesteads. Eliza Lowry, James MCMAHON and Luke CROTHERS see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index. But there is a MacGowan living in Mount Street
Family Name 1   MACGOWAN
Forename 1   JOHN C.
Townland   DONAGHADEE, TOWNPARKS OF
Place Name   MOUNT STREET Surely we are getting veryclose

Family Name 1   FULTON
Forename 1   SAMUEL
Parish   DONAGHADEE
Townland   BALLYCOPELAND

Family Name 1   FULTON
Forename 1   JOHN
Parish   DONAGHADEE
Townland   BALLYFRENIS

Family Name 1   FULTON
Forename 1   WILLIAM
Parish   DONAGHADEE
Townland   BALLYCOPELAND

The great thing about Griffiths website is it often gives a map reference. Where if you are lucky the boundary of each homestead is outlined on a map

There is McGowan   John   born 1838   father George   Down in www.ancestryireland website

I have not searched Familysearch.com   The MacGowan, McGowan entries, and the Fulton
I have not searched www.emeraldancestry website
Maybe others will step in to help you
Good luck JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the information, unfortunately most of which I already have.  Being new to the forum I was not sure how much to put up!  Louisa Jane was married to Thomas MacGowan.  He was one of the sons of John Charles Snr (1810-1891), the others being John Charles (1839 - 1910) and Francis MacMinn, and a daughter Barbara Simpson. 

Perhaps the relationship is between Louisa Jane nee Arnold, and not necessarily the MacGowan's.  In the will of JC Snr (written in 1891 - 6 days before he died) he mentions her sister as Harriett Arnold.  I have been unable to trace either of their births.

I do remember that my father mentioned Granny MacGowan back in the days when the family tree did not interest me!  How I regret that now  :'(  I do know that there must be a connectiion - just really hoping to find it!

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 December 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »

Just for the reference of folk reading this thread and to give them some more background, I take it this is the family in 1901?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Ballycross/Mount_Street/1255451/

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 December 12 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Gaffy, how could I have missed the next door neighbours at No 26, well done. So back to Nooky. Its amazing they didnt the bring mine itself from SA! JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 December 12 14:20 GMT (UK) »
 :D Couldn't fit the mine in the suitcases - too full of kids clothing!
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 December 12 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Gaffy I did reply to this (I think I did it correctly) but it does not appear so if I am repeating myself - sorry. Thanks for the census record.  This census shows my g/father John together with his wife and children on a vist from South Africa. Louisa is listed with just her first name (aged 5).  In the 1911 census of 99 Mount Street she is listed as a visitor from South Africa aged 15 with her full names of Louisa Jane MacGowan Fulton.  She is living with John Charles MacGowan and his sister in law Louisa Jane MacGowan (the widow of Thomas William who died in 1902). 

LJM Fulton was sent back to the MacGowan family at about the age of 12 which I find very puzzling.  She was not the oldest of the daughters.  She remained in Ireland, trained as a nurse, married R.B. Thomson (Bertie) and then returned to South Africa after he died.

I have tried today to find a connection between Louisa Jane MacGowan (nee Arnold) and the Fulton's but with no luck.  I do know that Louisa was listed on IGI showing the birth of her child Alexander (7/4/1880) as Louisa MacGowan Arnold, but I think this was just an error, as her maiden name was Arnold.

The only other connection I have found is that John's sister Agnes Brown (1862-25/1/1893) had John C. Macgowan sign her will as a witness.  As he was a Clerk of Petty Sessions perhaps this is why he was the witness?

Thanks for the interest you have shown in trying to solve my family tree problems  :)

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 December 12 15:58 GMT (UK) »
"I do know that Louisa was listed on IGI showing the birth of her child Alexander (7/4/1880) as Louisa MacGowan Arnold, but I think this was just an error, as her maiden name was Arnold."
The actual birth certificate lists mother as Louisa MacGowan maiden name Arnold but LDS extracts it as Louisa MacGowan Arnold.

"LJM Fulton was sent back to the MacGowan family at about the age of 12 which I find very puzzling.  She was not the oldest of the daughters."
It was not uncommon for children to be sent back to relatives in Ireland. Perhaps the climate didn't agree with her, they were offered a chance for her to be educated at home, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 December 12 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the information, unfortunately most of which I already have.  Being new to the forum I was not sure how much to put up!  Louisa Jane was married to Thomas MacGowan.  He was one of the sons of John Charles Snr (1810-1891), the others being John Charles (1839 - 1910) and Francis MacMinn, and a daughter Barbara Simpson. 

Perhaps the relationship is between Louisa Jane nee Arnold, and not necessarily the MacGowan's.  In the will of JC Snr (written in 1891 - 6 days before he died) he mentions her sister as Harriett Arnold.  I have been unable to trace either of their births.

I do remember that my father mentioned Granny MacGowan back in the days when the family tree did not interest me!  How I regret that now  :'(  I do know that there must be a connectiion - just really hoping to find it!

Again for reference and background, Harriett's details and those for a couple of siblings are shown in familysearch against parents John Arnold and​ Louisa Ann McWilliams.