Author Topic: MacGowan/Fulton families Donaghadee- completed  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacGowan/Fulton families Donaghadee
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 December 12 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Gaffy.  I had seen  those on familysearch, but was concerned about taking them as her parents  as they do not show Louisa Jane's birth, and I was nervous about 'assuming'.

However will see today if I can find a connection between them and the Fulton's.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MacGowan/Fulton families Donaghadee
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 December 12 10:08 GMT (UK) »
According to my uncle he seems to think that the MacGowan connection might have come through his grandmother Eliza (Elizabeth) Harper.

Elizabeth was born in Donaghadee on 24 November 1866 to William Harper and Elizabeth Maxwell (married 26 August 1862).  They had three other children, Robert (16 December 1870); Louisa (27 December 1873) and James George (6 December 1877). 

Elizabeth married John Fulton in South Africa in 1891, and died on 4 August 1924.

Hopefully a connection can be found between her family and the MacGowan's.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline alisontait56

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: MacGowan/Fulton families Donaghadee- completed
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 October 21 09:18 BST (UK) »
I’m researching the Arnold and MacGowan connection in DONAGHADEE Co Down. 2 Arnold sisters married 2 MacGowan brothers. I am a great granddaughter of Marianne Arnold and Alexander Smyth/ Smith MacGowan. I have a lot of material about the two families with mention of Harper and Fulton. I’ve also got information about a connection with South Africa. I’d be pleased to be in touch and share my information. Louisa Jane MacGowan nee Arnold died in 1937 in Donaghadee having spent several years in Souhth Africa following the death of her husband Thomas MacGowan. My grandmother Kathleen Scott nee MacGowan was in regular with her cousin Fred Arnold ( Harriet Arnold’s son  ) and my father Jack ( John Arnold Scott ) was in regular contact with his second cousin Fred ( Frederick ) Arnold in the 1980s when they followed up on family history together in the donanaghadee area and in Belfast - I may be able to help…..
Alison Tait nee Scott