Author Topic: Upper Ormond Quay  (Read 2617 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Upper Ormond Quay
« on: Friday 07 December 12 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some help to find out what went on in Upper Ormond Quay between late 1880s and the 1940s and beyond.

Noticing a couple of addresses that seemed to crop up in my family many years apart, I had a close look and was astonished to find so many names possibly related to the same families (maybe some generations apart) in the 1939-electoral roll.

The addresses that I'm interested in would be 27-30 Upper Ormond Quay, so I'm interested to know if these were just tenements or if the same or similar businesses were operating at these addresses over any extent of time. 

Not yet sure that all of the related family names that seem to be in those properties in 1939-40 are, in fact, family but pretty certain that some of them are.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Upper Ormond Quay
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 December 12 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I've had a quick look between the 1890s and early 1920 - the uses for these addresses change a few times - 27 is mostly a grocer, and in some dates 28 and/or 29 are tenements. The only other recurring trade showing up so far is antiques or furniture dealers.

In 1938 - no. 27 is  grocer & spirit merchant, 27a printer & law stationer, 28 newsagent/tobacconist, 28a bookseller & antique furniture dealer, 29 tenements and 30 auctioneers & valuers

Is the a particular trade or surname that's of interest ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 December 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for looking. I was hoping that there might be tailors, and/or even perhaps shoemakers based there.

I have two families, McLoughlin and O'Brien, linked by the marriage of my GGGgrandparents in 1865. The two families were close and shared addresses at various times as well as participating in events of each other's family (such as godparents to children of siblings of the opposite family too).  Over the years a lot more family names got linked in and when following up a Corcoran/O'Donoghue line (descended from the McLoughlin side), I found a whole lot of McLoughlins and Moroneys and began to wonder if these addresses had been in constant use by members of these families.  On the O'Brien side, there were Leons at this address earlier too.

I now need to see if I can trace the McLoughlins (and Moroneys) at those addresses in 1939-40 back to my family but thought that the quickest way would be if I could find a family business continuing at the same address throughout this period.

It seems that I am going to have to do it the hard way after all.

Thanks,
Sheila
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 December 12 09:19 GMT (UK) »
I have two families, McLoughlin and O'Brien.......
Corcoran/O'Donoghue l....McLoughlins and Moroneys
....On the O'Brien side, there were Leons ...

one of the surnames you mentioned appears on the 1938 listing - although he's a grocer..

27 M. McLoughlin - grocer & spirit merchant
  27a T. O'Hanlon - printer & law stationer
  28 T.F. Cullen - newsagent/tobacconist,
  28a C.J. Morely - bookseller & antique furniture dealer
  29 tenements
  30 Baron & sons - auctioneers & valuers

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 December 12 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Shane,

Michael and James are both names that occur repeatedly in our McLoughlin family though I've yet to find any as late as this.  The Corcorans are on a side branch so I need to detail this a bit more.  I've ended up trying to go through all the side branches as the family were close and obviously still interacted with cousins (and maybe even second cousins) down the years.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 December 12 11:05 GMT (UK) »

There are O'Briens at no. 27 in the 1870s - 1880s.   A William O'Brien is operating a grocery there in 1875 and an Eliza O'Brien, widow, grocer, is declared bankrupt in 1886 and the property is auctioned off - an extensive property it should be said...

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 December 12 11:26 GMT (UK) »

In fact William O'Brien is operating at no. 27 from 1860 if not before, he married Eliza Thomas in 1863.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 December 12 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that gaffy,

William seems to be an important name in our O'Brien family too but that would be going back a generation earlier than I have traced so far as there was no William among my Mary's full siblings and I think that I can account for her half-brother elsewhere.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 December 12 21:01 GMT (UK) »

In fact William O'Brien is operating at no. 27 from 1860 if not before, he married Eliza Thomas in 1863.

From the marriage, it seems that William's parents are from Wexford.  However, as I do not have such details for our John, it doesn't help me find or discount a relationship.