Author Topic: Birth records, Ennistymon RC Church.  (Read 7741 times)

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth records, Ennistymon RC Church.
« on: Saturday 08 December 12 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is anyone aware of a site for birth records for Ennistymon church?

I am able to glean some info off the family search site but there is so little info compared to the UK records, ye would need a rather thick wallet to order every cert to ascertain each family member. They seem to give no info re parents before 1925 ish. After that you can see mother's maiden name.

The period I am looking at is 1910 to 1940.

On a happier note, I have to say that I am well impressed with the service from the GRO. I ordered two certs on a Friday and received them, in France, the following Wednesday. Excellent.

Kind regards

Mark.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth records, Ennistymon RC Church.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 December 12 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean the births in the civil registration index? these are entirely separate from any church records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 December 12 12:55 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 December 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

I am looking for any record of births at Ennistymon RC church, be it civil or church record.

The problem that I have is that there is very little info on the LDS entries. If there were some records of births to at least ascertain which parents had which child it would be of great benefit to myself.

I can kind of cross match the weddings once I have both parents' names and come up with an identical match of year/qtr and place of marriage but it is very difficult to find an exact match when you only have one name. This is not the case with the UK records as details of spouse are usually given, aswell as parents names for each listing of birth.

I am sure that I am not the first person to experience these difficulties but, between the jigs and the reels, is there a way around it?

Kind regards,

Mark.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 December 12 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I am able to glean some info off the family search site but there is so little info compared to the UK records,
....They seem to give no info re parents before 1925 ish. After that you can see mother's maiden name.

The Irish BMD Index birth records are in the same format as the corresponding English Index records i.e. child's name, year/quarter and references. The version of the index on FamilySearch online includes the mothers maiden name for births from the late 1920s. The actual birth Index books in the GRO Research Room in Dublin include mother's maiden name from about 1904.

The records that show parents are extracted birth records, and these show some of the details from the registers, including parents names. These cover many birth records, but only up to about 1880

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 December 12 13:17 GMT (UK) »
You are talking about 2 types of records.

1) church records for "Ennistymon RC church" will be baptisms. The records may or may not be available online.

2) civil registrations (births, deaths, marriages) will be in the online index at www.familysearch.org.
You can search for a particular surname and narrow down the results by registration district (see www.thecore.com/seanruad to find the registration district (Poor Law Union) for a particular townland) but bear in mind that a hospital birth may not fall under the same district as the residence of the family.

If the surname is fairly unusual in the area you can make a small database of all the entries and use that to try and determine which might be connected to the family you are researching but there is no sure way of knowing which certificates to order based on the civil index alone.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 December 12 14:00 GMT (UK) »
If you already have a location, parents names etc, you could see if the GRO could help. If the names are not too common they may be able to do a search for you. Their phone and fax numbers are on the website - http://www.groireland.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 December 12 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks tothe both of you.

If I can give you an example.

I have a family name and the registration district. I tap that in and all those surnames of children born come up on the screen BUT there is no info given re parents, so how do you work out which entries are from the same family/parents without purchasing all of the birth certs?

My point re the English site is that parents names are given along with church details, dates etc so you can hazard a good guess as to which child is linked with which family.

Am I missing something ??

Regards,

Mark.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 December 12 14:20 GMT (UK) »
The FamilySearch website only has the Irish BMD Index - not the actual civil birth records (except for those early partial extracts I mentioned).

As with the English BMD Index, the Irish BMD Index doesn't include parents details, except the mother's maiden surname in the records after 1904 - or from the late 1920s from the online version of the Irish BMD index on FamilySearch.

There's always an element of speculation when it comes to purchasing certs - especially when it comes to common names, and most people have a collection of 'incorrect' certs.

As aghadowey said, based on the Index alone there's no way to be certain if a particular index entry is the correct one for the family you are researching, until you view the details on it. You can sometimes narrow down your list of certs by checking details for family on the 2 census returns, or by concentrating on common family names.

The GRO may be able to help by carrying out a search for you based on location and parents names, but you would have to talk directly to them about this.

There are very few parish records online for Co. Clare at the moment, and most parish records on websites only cover up to the end of the 1800s. (see the Co. Clare resources topic at the top of this board)

Shane
My Surname Interests