Author Topic: Looking for Manley ancestor of Wicklow  (Read 10672 times)

Offline jabaty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Manley ancestor of Wicklow
« on: Saturday 08 December 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm new to the board and trying to find more clues on my Manley ancestors.  This is what I know...

William Manley  was born in Wicklow County, Ireland, and died Bef. 1901.  He married Mary Manley, daughter of James Manley.  She was born Abt. 1858, and died January 08, 1902 in County Wicklow, Ireland.

William Manley was born in Wicklow County, Ireland in the 1800's.  He married Mary Manly in the 1800's.  (Please note they both have the same last name so there might be a possibility of being cousins).  All their children's were born in Ireland.  William Manley was a Catholic and his wife was a Protestant, this may have caused a lot of conflict in the family.  At William's death he was buried in Dunganstown, Ireland (Catholic graveyard) while Mary and all their children were buried in Glenealy, Ireland (Protestant graveyard).

The Manley family lived in the following places ?? Hillriver House, Milltown, Rathnew County, Wicklow.

Children of William Manley and Mary Manley are:
+   2   i.   Mary "Ciss" Manley, born Abt. 1878; died December 13, 1933 in County Wicklow, Ireland.
+   3   ii.   William "Sonny" Manley, born Abt. 1881; died January 25, 1948 in County Wicklow, Ireland.
+   4   iii.   James Manley, born Abt. 1882; died Abt. 1957.
+   5   iv.   John "Jonsey" Manley, born Abt. 1884; died May 31, 1938 in Ireland.
+   6   v.   Isabella Francis Manley, born August 15, 1886 in Wicklow County, Ireland; died January 10, 1965 in Pontiac, Michigan.
   7   vi.   Isibella Manley, born Abt. 1887.
   8   vii.   Sarah Jane Manley, born Abt. 1887; died May 30, 1963 in Ireland.
+   9   viii.   Walter Manley, born Abt. 1891; died April 21, 1977 in Ireland.
+   10   ix.   Elizabeth Manley, born Abt. 1894; died Abt. 1971.

Children of William Manley are:
   11   i.   Charlie Manley.
   12   ii.   Hannagh Manley.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Manley ancestor of Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 December 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
+   6   v.   Isabella Francis Manley, born August 15, 1886 in Wicklow County, Ireland; died January 10, 1965 in Pontiac, Michigan.

date doesn't quite match, which is not unusual but this looks to be the closest match for Isabella's birth :

Name: Isabella Manly
  Registration district: Rathdown
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jan-Mar 1885
  Volume : 2 / Page : 882

Another possibility is this slightly earlier birth - registered without a first name, so probably before a name had been finalized :

Name: Female Manly
  Registration district: Rathdrum
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1884
  Volume: 2 / Page : 878

Rathdown district covers parts of North Co. Wicklow, plus a section of South Co. Dublin. Rathdrum district covers south east Co. Wicklow

Rathnew is a town in Co. Wicklow.

Dunganstown and Glenealy are towns in south Wicklow, and both in Rathdrum registration district, so could fit with that second birth entry.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 December 12 10:46 GMT (UK) »
This looks like the family on the 1901 census, living at Ballynabarny townland. Mother Mary, a farmer, is a widow, and living with her are 4 daughters including Isabella age 12 (c1889), 4 sons. All RC and born Co. Wicklow. Also listed is a nephew surname Cunningham born Dublin city.

Manly household - Ballynabarny townland

Ballynabarny townland is in Rathdrum civil registration district, and Glenealy electoral district - so likely near to the town of Glenealy.

Many Church of Ireland were graveyards had historic origins, and were shared with other denominations.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 December 12 11:16 GMT (UK) »
based on a search of the free index on RootsIreland with parents first names - these are the years of baptism for some of the children you mentioned :

William 1876    
  James    1878    
  Martha     1882    
  Sarah Jane 1885    
  Isabella    1887    
  Isabella    1889    (*)
  Walter    1890    
  Elizabeth    1893    

The second listing for an Isabella suggests that the child baptised in 1887, died soon after birth. Both of these baptisms seem to be in Ashford RC parish. The town of Ashford is just north of Rathnew.

RC baptisms generally took place very soon after birth, so  birth dates within a few days of these are likely. RootsIreland has transcripts of parish records, and you have to pay to view further details such as parents names and god-parents (if RC etc).

In general Civil birth records would show more detail than an RC baptism, such as father's occupation and often more detailed place of residence

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 12 12:07 GMT (UK) »
There's a possible marriage for William and Mary around the right time on the civil BMD Index. It's in 1873 and in Dublin South district, which covered the south city, and much of the south west of County Dublin.

Name: Mary Manley
  Registration district: Dublin South
  Event type: Marriage
  Year: 1873
  Volume : 12 / Page : 599

A match reference appears for a William Manley, so he is listed on the same register page, and therefore a possible cross-match.

There also seems to be an RC marriage in Ashford parish that matches the same names and years... maybe a civil marriage in Dublin, followed by an church marriage in Ashford ?

On Griffth's Valuation there's are two Manly listings at Ballynabarny townland. A Charles with a 'house, offices & land' of just over 17 acres, he also is listed as immediate lessor of a House to a John Long.

Also listed in Ballynabarny townland is a Charles Manly (little) with 'herd's house, office & land'. Offices is the term used on Griffth's for outhouses, workshops, stables etc. The 'little' designation is to indicate that the second entry relates to a different Charles Manly - probably a related to the first. Maybe relations or even one is father of either William or Mary ?

(This section of the return is date 1854)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline jabaty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 December 12 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, Shane (Shanew147) for the information you posted.

I have recently been in contact with librarian in Wicklow County and she found some of my Manley ancestors obituary.  I can't wait till I get my hands on them for more clues and details.

I'm still learning the territory of Ireland and it place names.  I guess I need to need where they live in terms of parish, bariony, town, city, etc.  To narrow down the scope of my research...thanks for pointing out the Census in which I have printed off.

Julie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 December 12 12:05 GMT (UK) »
a quick run down of Irish land divisions, and how they apply to where your Manley family lived in 1901 ..

the main division, going largest to smallest :

County - 32 of these on the Island of Ireland. The county town of County Wicklow is also named Wicklow. Other major towns include Arklow, Baltinglass, Bray, Carnew and Rathdrum (there are no cities in Co. Wicklow).

Barony - about 370 of these, 10 of which cover parts of Co. Wicklow. The townland of Ballynabarny, where your Manley family are living in 1901 is located in the Barony of Newcastle. Barony names are not used that often in Family History research, but are sometimes included to differentiate different townlands or civil parishes which have the same or similar names. e.g. There are two townlands in Co. Wicklow named Balinabarny - one in the barony of Ballinacor North, the other in Upper Talbotstown.

Civil Parish - there are over 2,000 of these, and just under 60 cover parts of Co. Wicklow. Ballynabarny townland is in Glenealy civil parish. Civil parishes were usually the same as the local Church of Ireland parish.

Townland - over 64,000 of these, about 1,400 of which are in Co. Wicklow. Townlands are the smallest division of land and these range in size from less than an acre, to several thousand acres.

Other important divisions :

Registration District - this is the area that civil Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered in, and these were usually based in the larger towns. The registration district for the area around Ballynabarny was Rathdrum. These districts derived from Poor Law Unions, and generally covered the same area, and had the same name.

Catholic Parish - the area covered by an RC parish.  These sometimes corresponded in name and area to civil and Church of Ireland parishes, but often had different names. They could cover a single civil parish or a number of these. Parish boundaries could alter  over time as populations changed. A parish would have a single parish church where records were kept, and could have a number of chapels of ease around the parish for easy access. Two possibilities for the RC parish for Ballynabarny, Wicklow and Ashford - with the parish churches being in the towns of the same name.

Town - these are population centres and are often based in a townland of the same name. Nearest town to Ballynabarney is Glenealy.

Village - smaller population centre than a town.

for reference here's a link to an early OSI map showing the townland :

Ballynabarney townland  (c1837)

(the townland borders are indicated in red)

My Surname Interests