Author Topic: aaarrrgghhhh  (Read 4198 times)

Offline Wade82

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
aaarrrgghhhh
« on: Sunday 09 December 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello all I just come across this site I have been doing my family tree for a few years now and when I started I found it incredibly difficult for my dads side all in county tyrone so continued with my mums easy peasy well in comapasrion with my dads I kept coming back to his side but got so frustrated now im starting properly I have ordered a few marriage certs and have got a few names so just wondering if anyone is also reasing this family or anyone has tips.
All seem to be around Dungannon area Brackaville, Tullyniskan, Donaghmore Coalisland Newmills have come up in research.The names are Wade,Curran,Proctor,Allen,Williamson,Marshal and I think there is a connection to Patton to but not verified yet any help appreiceted im hoping to visit next year as I do still have family there but noone knows anything!
Thankyou
 :(

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: aaarrrgghhhh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 December 12 18:02 GMT (UK) »
If you'd like us to try and help you will need to give us details- names, dates, etc.-so that we have a starting place.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Wade82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 December 12 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Thankyou I have just recieved the cert for Thomas Wade marriage to Mary Curran in 1886 fathers name Charles Wade Thomas Curran they lived in Congo I am trying to find birth for them all and marriage for the fathers. This might be a good starting block. I found Thomas Wade in 1901 census with 8 children and Mary says age 60 but in 1911 census says age 60 also?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 December 12 18:54 GMT (UK) »
What were the addresses (townlands) given for Thomas and Mary, when they married? Also, what were their father’s occupations?

Statutory birth registration only began in Ireland in 1864 so you won’t get a birth cert for Thomas or Mary. You’ll need to rely on church records. If they were Presbyterian and lived in the area around Congo, they may have attended either Dungannon 1st or Dungannon 2nd Presbyterian churches. The 1st records start in 1790 & the 2nds in 1830. Copies of both are held in PRONI, Belfast.

Here’s the abstract (summary) of a will held in PRONI. (The will itself is not on-line yet. You would need to go to PRONI or get a copy from them):

Wade Thomas of Congo Edendork Dungannon county Tyrone farmer and old age pensioner died 1 February 1925 Probate Londonderry 12 March to John Wade and Archibald McClean farmers. Effects £105 12s. 6d.

That Thomas was an OAP may be useful to you because if he made an application for an old age pension, he would have had to produce evidence of age. In the absence of a birth or baptism cert, often a check was made against the 1851 and sometimes the 1841 censuses. The file would often record the entire census for his family. Copies for Tyrone are in PRONI, Belfast. There is also at least one commercial site that also has the information.

Don't worry about the age discrepancies in the censuses. Birthdays weren't really celebrated by most people and nobody bothered too much about their ages at that time, so such discrepancies are very common.

Elwyn

Offline Wade82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 12 19:00 GMT (UK) »
hello thankyou pension records may be a way forward yes thats him my dad says all the wades were either famers or stone masons then latter years dabbled in building work they were all presbyterian it says 1st presbyterian church dungannon where would that be i tried searching online and got nothing also Congo where is that ? my dad says as far as he aware all the family have never left dungannon area.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 December 12 19:05 GMT (UK) »
For reference here's the link to 1901 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Donaghmore/Congo/1739463
and 1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Donaghmore/Congo/868252

In both records Thomas Wade is listed as unable to read and it's not surprising the ages don't work out as this often happened.

Where were Thomas and Mary living when they got married and what were their father's occupations?

Civil registration of non-Catholic marriages began in 1845 but it's possible that Thomas' parents were married before that date. If so, you'd need to see if any church record survives.

Wonder if this is the same Thomas Wade?
"Wade Thomas of Congo Edendork Dungannon county Tyrone farmer and old age pensioner died 1 February 1925 Probate Londonderry 12 March to John Wade and Archibald McClean farmers. Effects £105 12s. 6d." www.proni.gov.uk

Son Charles Wade went to U.S. in 1913- if you don't have the details you can view the manifest (2 pages) on www.ellisisland.org. link corrected

If this it's your topic on another board there may be someone else researching the Wade family-
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.britisles.ireland.tyr.general/7331/mb.ashx?pnt=1
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 December 12 19:11 GMT (UK) »
The 1st Presbyterian records are not on-line. The originals will be held by the church, with a copy deposited in PRONI. (Ref MIC1P/3A & MIC1P/460). You either need to go in person or get someone to look them up for you.

Congo is a townland in Drumglass parish. In Griffiths Valuation for 1860, there were 20 households listed but no Wades, which you would expect if the family were farmers. So they may have moved there from elsewhere after 1860. That’s why I asked about the addresses on the marriage cert.

Congo is about a mile east of Donaghmore. The modern Gortnaglush Rd runs through the middle of it.

You may need to look at the Revaluation records in PRONI to find out how long the family lived in Congo. (Again these are not on-line). Congo is in Donaghmore DED. Val 12B series of records in PRONI.

Elwyn

Offline Wade82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 December 12 19:22 GMT (UK) »
hello thankyou so much there address is congo when they got married in 1886 and my dad said they still had farm when he was a kid as he remembers an old man Jo and John who run it they never married according to my dad my dad was born 1955 so they still had it then.

Offline Wade82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 December 12 19:24 GMT (UK) »
The link for Charles wade going to US doesnt work  :( I have been unable to find any info for him and the rest of the children except my great randfather Thomas.