Author Topic: Which family tree programme?Sorted now!  (Read 2479 times)

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Which family tree programme?Sorted now!
« on: Wednesday 01 June 05 14:35 BST (UK) »
I've not been searching very long but have been fairly lucky and am getting to the point that I need to organise the info properly.  Can anyone advise me on which programme I could use to start putting my family tree on, it needs to be very basic as I'm not the most technically minded of people!!!!!!!!! Thank you
Thank you for info am now looking into the progs
Timmins-Durham,York,Middx,Sussex Pearson-Durham, Blenkinsop-York, Hind,Lumley,Gordon,Stoker,Farrant-Sussex,Comber-Sussex

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Which family tree programme?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzi, The main one ius is Legacy it is free for the full programme plus you can updgrade to one with more bells and whistles.
http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Index.asp

There is another free one called PAF which you can get from the Church of latterday saints (mormans)

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 14:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve I'll have alook at that one one and see how I go
Suzi
Timmins-Durham,York,Middx,Sussex Pearson-Durham, Blenkinsop-York, Hind,Lumley,Gordon,Stoker,Farrant-Sussex,Comber-Sussex

Paul E

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 June 05 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzi

When I started I used Genes Reunited to keep my tree - and still do.  Its a reasonably easy way to store your data with the added bonus that you may find other people searching your family.

cheers

Paul

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
  • There was a hush in the passion play
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 June 05 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Suziq,

There is a featured review of various packages here http://www.computeractive.co.uk/features/1159331 which will at least give you some idea of the various features the packages offer.  You may also be able to download free trial versions of some to test out before spending loads of money (Computeractive do downloads too).  It may be worth searching other Computer mag websites for similar features, they all seem to have twigged how popular genealogy is becoming  ;D

Personally, I use Family Tree Maker which is one of the GSP products, it's very intuitive and easy to use.

Cheers, Steph.
Beer (Kent)
Hall/Halle  (Stafford/Enfield/Folkestone)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)
Southan/Southen/Southern/Southon (Kent)
And more (there are always more!)

All census info: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Join Stumble and lure others into Rootschat!

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 05 12:35 BST (UK) »
I used the Master Genealogist for years and its really good, but to be honest I only used about 50% of the things on it.  Earlier this year I decided to buy a new programme and opted for Rootsmagic which is reasonably priced and very easy to use.

Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Which family tree programme?Sorted now!
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 June 05 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
there have been a few questions/threads on this before, a search would lead you to some of the discussions, when I first started I used the LDS free program PAF, then I too asked the same question, what program? lots of advice but I  went for Rootsmagic, easy to use and intuitive, only drawback, printing off decent trees, especially all in one. But I'm still using it.

Good luck
Newbie ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk