Author Topic: South Australian lookup offers  (Read 61528 times)

Offline Hinuera2001

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: South Australian lookup offers
« Reply #117 on: Friday 18 November 05 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shanko

Thank you very very much for the information on my Sampson family.  I appreciate it very much.  The info will be an enormous help to my research.

Irene

Offline Fern123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Friday 18 November 05 10:19 GMT (UK) »
hi Shanko
I wonder if you would be able to do a look up for me.
Trying to find the arrival in South Australia of William WILLIAMS & his wife Emma Ann WILLIAMS.
They married 30 July 1883 in London and their first child Alice Ida WILLIAMS was born in Adelaide on 18 July 1884 at the time of the birth they were living at West Terrace. So they arrived sometime within that 12 month period?
Dont know if you have any departures? They did move from Adelaide to Victoria and Emma died April 1858 & is buried in Back Creek Cemetery Victoria, she had a child some 5 months before Maud Winifred WILLIAMS sometime after that William WILLIAMS went to NZ presumably with two children and maybe a new wife?
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Fern

Offline Fern123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Friday 18 November 05 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Shanko!! on my previous request I made a typo  :( re William WILLIAMS They married in 1853 (not 1883) and Alice was born in Australia in 1854 (not 1884)
Regards
Fern

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Friday 18 November 05 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Note the system does allow you to edit messages after you post them

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Friday 18 November 05 20:26 GMT (UK) »
G'day Shanko,
I have ancestors (g-g-grandparents) William PAYNE (b. 1849) and Christina WARK (b. 1860), who made up a surname HAZLEMERE/HAZELMERE who married in 1882 in Sydney. The had a tiny old 'birthday motto book' which I inherited.

There is an entry in the Book 'left home for London and Australia July 31 1878' (I suspect this is Christina as it looks different to William's writing elsewhere in the book. On September 18 there are 2 entries -  Landed in Adelaide 1878, married 1879).

Christina's first child Olive (who survived to marry and have 14 children) was born around 1882. Officially Christina married William 31/10/1882 at St Peters in Darlinghurst, Sydney.

Thus I am wondering  which boats landed  in Adelaide  September 18 1878 and whether there was a William PAYNE (who I have some evidence was in Adelaide) or Christina WARK or HAZELEMERE on it, and a WARK  or HAZELMERE in a marriage in 1879 (or birth of Olive in 1882 who is not registered in NSW where the family was by late 1882.

I greatly appreciate all help,
cheers
Cas Liber
Aberdeenshire: Nelson, Middleton, Dow, McLennan, Hendry
Ross & Cromarty: McLennan, Macaulay
Midlothian: Nelson, Lumsden
Berwickshire: Lumsden, Melrose
Stirlingshire: Dick
West Lothian/Lanark: Wark
West Yorkshire: Wormald, Cooper, Snowden, Sykes (all Drighlington/Adwalton), Thackeray (Tong)
Warwickshire: Payne (Coleshill/Solihull), Forshaw (Coleshill), Drakeford (Coleshill)
Somerset: Quartley
NZ: Thompson (Dunedin)
also Poland, Belarus, Romania

Offline Aussie33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Saturday 19 November 05 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shanko
Could you look in Inquests 1900-1945 for anything on the death of Barton Balfour FELTUS who died 15th Jan 1911 in Spring Hill Settlement (near Meningie),SA. Family say he drowned in a well -dont know if this is correct.
Kerri
Docking,Ettridge/Etheridge, Feltus (Ireland),Fuge,
Sisman/Sissman (Sawtry,Hunt,Eng),Stevens (Lochiel/Crystal Brook,SA) ,
Young (Lopen,Somerset), Maguire(Cavan,Ireland),Betts/Bates (Teston,Kent to Western Australia,SA & Vic), Berridge (Hun,Eng)

Families to South Australia

Offline DanielW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Saturday 19 November 05 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,
I'm after information on a ship called the "Ruby" which arrived in Adelaide in 1854. In particular one of the crew William Augustus SIMMONS, who was a teenager at the time and supposedly "jumped ship".

Cheers,
Daniel
Perth, WA
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN COOPER HINGLEY DAY POWELL COOK PEARSON CLAYTON
Staffordshire:  LEWIS FERRISEY STEVENS
Warwickshire: DAY
North YKS/Durham: CROSBY HARRISON STORM WILSON THOMPSON
Northumberland: RICHARDSON THOMPSON RIDLEY PRATT HETTHRINGTON
Hertfordshire:  CONSTABLE SEABROOKE
London:  BEAZLEY GOLDSON SIMMONS
Sussex:  HOWARD COOKE
Cambridge:  BRIGATTI HARWOOD KEMP
Gloucestershire: LOCK TYNDALL

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Saturday 19 November 05 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Shanko

Thankyou for your effort today I hope they don't prove too hard to find

Cazay

Cazay,
Sorry have not found any trace of your family :(

Shanko
 ;D

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Saturday 19 November 05 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shanko,
                  You must be the hardest worked researcher in the land so please excuse me if I am jumping the gun.
I initially sent in a request on the 23 August this year trying the operative word is trying! to find a families arrival, I am researching this family on behalf of my grandchildren, their father a Gillard having passed away, in case the message was lost I will repeat it. Regarding a Samuel Gillard born 1822 and his wife Margaret born 1828 both in Cornwall. A child Ann was baptized 11 May 1846 in Cornwall, the next child Elizabeth was born in Adelaide 21 Jun 1848 another child John was also born in Adelaide 15 Jan 1852, the family then went to try their luck in the Victorian goldfields it seems without a lot of luck!   I have yet to find their arrival in Australia, the birth of Elizabeth would suggest South Australia, I guess the surname could be slightly changed  I have come across it as Gaillard in the registers in Cornwall, Any assistance or suggestions most gratefully received.
Thank you Dennis
Dennis,

If you remember I did reply stating I found no Gillard family at all in any of the available shipping indexes. I don't know what else you want me to do, I have double checked twice but no family of that surname is on the indexes.

Shanko
 ;D