Author Topic: Baptism or Christening at what age?  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism or Christening at what age?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 December 12 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I've also got cases of three or four children being baptised on the same day - like a 1 year old and siblings of 3, 6 and 8 all done in a job lot.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 December 12 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I've also got cases of three or four children being baptised on the same day - like a 1 year old and siblings of 3, 6 and 8 all done in a job lot.

I've managed to find other family members i knew nothing of that way.  :)
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
  • Georgiana Smith, my great-grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 December 12 17:17 GMT (UK) »

My father was brought up a Baptist (they don't baptise infants) and he had to be christened before he could marry my mother in the C of E. I was christened as a child and also baptised as an adult. We let our children choose if and when they wanted to be baptised. They decided to be 'done' at the same time.
    My son was 11 and my daughter was 9. They were enthusiastically welcomed into the family of the church (it was a normal Sunday service) and that is the normal thing now, so there was nothing strange about it happening to an older person. Anyone can be baptised at any age.
   My Roman Catholic friend was horrified that I hadn't had my children baptised as infants. In her eyes, if they died they would not go to heaven! I was equally horrified to learn that that was what she had been taught.
Bridge: GT Catworth, Hunts, and surrounding area
French: Blisworth,  and W. Northants

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 December 12 23:32 GMT (UK) »

I was christened as a child and also baptised as an adult. We let our children choose if and when they wanted to be baptised. They decided to be 'done' at the same time.

This is most unusual as according to the rules of most churches you should nly be baptised once.  Most churches have a "conditional baptism" that is used when it is not certain whether someone has previously been baptised.  I believe that some churches like the Roman Catholics do not accept the baptism of some other churches.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 December 12 02:10 GMT (UK) »

I had an adult baptism in the Baptist church I was attending then.
     I have made it sound as if my children were baptised the same time as me, but actually it was quite a few years later that they were christened  in the C of E church near to where we lived at the time

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 December 12 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Rebecca Hazard Waugh was born 12 December 1797 in Alston, Cumberland. Parents were Robert Waugh and Priscilla White - both lapsed Quakers. Rebecca was baptized into the Church of England 13 March 1813 and was married to Thomas Reed on that same day. Perhaps the Vicar suggested she be baptized into the CofE.

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 December 12 06:38 GMT (UK) »
I was Christened at 2 months old (C of E), Confirmed at 30 years old (C of E) then baptised (full immersion baptism) into the Lord's church at about 50 years old.

I am not going to get all theological on anyone but suffice to say that Acts 2:38 is the key passage that made me want to get baptised. I have yet to read where it says you can only be baptised once, but I believe that is the required minimum quantity though :)

When is the correct age to be baptised? Well let us look at the Bible. Jesus was a young man when He was baptised and I doubt very much that He was ever in jeopardy of going to the hot place before that :)

Kevin
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 15 December 12 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Several discussions on Age at Baptism in the
RootsChat Reference Library => Lexicon (click here)
(Tip: click on a category - on the right - for related topics)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 December 12 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Rebecca Hazard Waugh was born 12 December 1797 in Alston, Cumberland. Parents were Robert Waugh and Priscilla White - both lapsed Quakers. Rebecca was baptized into the Church of England 13 March 1813 and was married to Thomas Reed on that same day. Perhaps the Vicar suggested she be baptized into the CofE.

The vicar would not have married her in church unless she was baptised