Author Topic: Married in Ardfinnan (I believe)  (Read 2254 times)

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Married in Ardfinnan (I believe)
« on: Thursday 13 December 12 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for the marriage of George Mason and Catherine Moloney,  both R.C. married circa 1860-1864.   They were my mother's grandparents.   I believe that they were married in Ardfinnan, tho' I have yet to uncover the details.  The family history (from my late mother's memory) suggests an area of Clogheen,  Ardfinnan (Moancrea and Greenmount) and New Castle (Nr. Clonmel).  I have tried Family Search and IFHS but to no avail.   Trying to circumvent this obstacle I have ventured into the parish births etc.  but here again no real success.   The latest information I have indicates that George Mason was born circa 1835 and that his father was Edmond Mason born circa 1810-1815,  but that again just seems to be another dead end.
The names of George and Thomas and Edmond and Stephen seem to run thro' a family group in Ardfinnan and going back to the early 19thC,  then the founding group seem to be Thomas Mason,
George Mason and Edmond Mason,  leading me to feel that this trinity were related in some degree in the small village of Ardfinnan.
Any kind Rootschatters out there who might be able to point me in the right direction?

:)

Offline Bikerchick64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Married in Ardfinnan (I believe)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 19:57 BST (UK) »

Any kind Rootschatters out there who might be able to point me in the right direction?

:)

Check out rootsireland.ie.  This is a pay site.  It is free to search and view pages that list possibilities, but if you want to actually see the certificate, you have to pay 25 credits to do so.  I suggest doing so, as you get the name of the town and parish where they were married.  You can also get birth and death information as well.  The more you know the better off you'll be to get a correct match!  I've used it to great success!

-Robin

Ostrowski, Sokol, Worochta, Lukowicz, Ternopil, Zverbki Skalat, Ukraine, Poland, Galacia, Carpathian Mountains, River Bug, Barrett, County Tipperary, Scully, Hyland, Cotter, McNamara, Quinn, Clonmel, Cahir, Knockskaugh, Knocknaboha, Catholic

Offline Sherriburger

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 July 19 16:29 BST (UK) »
You may have already found this couple's marriage, but the Ardfinnan parish registers are online at the National Library of Ireland site and it appears they were married Feb. 9, 1862 in Ardfinnan.  I'm new to this forum and do not know if it will allow me to post URLs but will give it a try:

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632093#page/23/mode/1up

Unfortunately it did not record the couple's parents' names, only the witnesses to the wedding.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 July 19 16:42 BST (UK) »
It is 7 year since that posting....maybe any children have been found etc

A search like this on https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp will find any births, adjust as needed for Marriage/Deaths etc

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-civil-records-are-on-line  explains records.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.