Author Topic: Cant find registration of birth??  (Read 3985 times)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cant find registration of birth??
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 December 12 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I was trying to match up any Abraham with likely siblings from FreeBMD and the only one seems to be an Abraham LLOYD. It's too common a surname in that area to be certain,though.

Does anyone see the father John GRICE earlier than 1891?

Maureen

Offline Woodlock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 December 12 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Maureen, osprey,

Augusta Bayley was his mothers maiden name,  seems some we're registered but some children weren't.

I think that looking at it more closely Abraham brice is the wrong one....  :(

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 17 December 12 20:38 GMT (UK) »
well, at least you're not in need of the cert to find out mother's maiden name. Think you will need John & Augusta's marriage cert to get any further back with John. No obvious entry for him in earlier census years, so his father's name & occupation from the cert should help.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Maureen, osprey,

Augusta Bayley was his mothers maiden name,  seems some we're registered but some children weren't.

I think that looking at it more closely Abraham brice is the wrong one....  :(

I had not wished to put a damper on the excitement but i discarded the Brice idea within a few minutes of starting to search. Too convenient, too coincidental and not backed by evidence. Grace seemed to me to be a better alternative but I found nothing of value there. Often it is useful to know whether the parents were literate since if not [happened in my family in the early 1800's] the clerk wrote down what he heard. If the parent was an incomer there could be accent problems but we see the Grice name is common in the West Country and even putting the broadest Somerset burr on it you will not get much change from Grice.

So, in these case, one looks at later censuses for clues - looking for the MOTHER and child together [surname might change] or witnesses to marriages or even who reports a death. It is a slow process that comes to many dead ends.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk