Author Topic: Naming after the Grandparents  (Read 730 times)

Offline jayinm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Naming after the Grandparents
« on: Saturday 15 December 12 12:22 GMT (UK) »
As is the norm in Ireland my ancestors were named after their Grandparents but there is a problem i m looking for help with? On my mothers side her Great Grandparents were John and Mary Hayes and Elizabeth and Michael Fitzgerald. John Hayes son was also John Hayes and he Married Ellen Fitzgerald the daughter of Michael and Elizabeth. The first four children of this marriage were Elizabeth 1873, John 1875, Mary 1877 and Michael 1881 which all makes sense given the Grandparents? However we have found out now there was a James born in 1879 who died which kind of leaves us asking why were they calling this child James ahead of Michael? The next child that was born after Michael and this time lived was again called James in 1884.
Any ideas on this?
Regards
James
Hayes,Grimes,McGuire,Fitzgerald,Hartnedy,Moore,Gleeson,Murroe,Coonagh,Clooncunna South,Cloghnadromin.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Naming after the Grandparents
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 December 12 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Even in families that followed a naming pattern there can be variations. It might be that a friend or relative named James died around the time of the child's birth, for example. It's also possible there was another son Michael born between John (1875) and James (1879) that died before Michael (1881).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jayinm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Naming after the Grandparents
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 December 12 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I do have my suspicions that this childs great grandfather was called James so its possible he was named after him and we know he had 4 siblings that died at birth or soon after but he was definitely the first on record to have passed?
Thanks for your input!
James
Hayes,Grimes,McGuire,Fitzgerald,Hartnedy,Moore,Gleeson,Murroe,Coonagh,Clooncunna South,Cloghnadromin.