Author Topic: Patrick Keenan & Cecilia Campbell, Gortin  (Read 4151 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Keenan & Cecilia Campbell, Gortin
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 December 12 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Both Cecily and (sister?) Alice are shown as born in America but it's possible they were back in Ireland at the time of the 1900 U.S. census and the 1890 census does not survive.
Each U.S. state keeps their own vital (birth, death, marriage) records and dates registration started and details contained vary from state to state.
First thing to check might be passengers lists. Suggest you start a topic on the U.S. board with the details you have and a link to this topic and see if anyone can help with more information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nellienolan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Keenan & Cecilia Campbell, Gortin
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 April 13 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have an interest in your wife's family. I have 'intersected' with them while researching my McCormack family, also from Gorticashel Upper.  My great grandparents were John McCormack & his wife, Anne (McSwiggan). Their children were Michael (my grandfather) who left for Australia in about 1874, Patrick, who married Mary McCullagh in 1885 and moved to New York, Phillip [aka Felix] and Alice. These latter two (both single) stayed on the land, and later, reared two "nephews" (2 of the 13 children of Patrick's sister-in-law, Hannah McCullagh) , Edward & Charles O'Hagan, after the death of their mother sometime after 1906 -  a somewhat similar scenario to the Campbell girls' story!  Edward O'Hagan eventually inherited the McCormack land, and it still remains in that family.   I have long assumed that Patrick McCormack & his sister Mary, who reared the Campbell girls, were most likely to be related to "my" McCormacks  (also living in the same Townland).  If you are still hunting information about your wife's grandparents, I can look through the notes I have to find any extra "bits & pieces". Also, if you know any extra information which you can share with me as you progress your research, please make contact (email- *)

* Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php