Author Topic: WAKERING AND BARLING STRITTONS  (Read 1256 times)

Offline SPARHAM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ada Fellingham my Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
WAKERING AND BARLING STRITTONS
« on: Sunday 16 December 12 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi   am trying to link my 4 x Gt Grandmother Hannah Stritton b 1788 in Little Wakering with other Strittons on the area:
There is a marriage in the SEAX files for a Thomas Stritton Bachelor, of Barling marrying Elizabeth Burgess Spinster at St Mary's Little Wakering on 9th Nov 1813 (by Banns) in the presence of Elizabeth Burgess and Isaac Rogers    On the same page appears Ann Stritton Spinster marrying Joseph Andrews on 22 Feb 1814 in the presence of Hannah Stritton with an X and again Isaac Rogers  Hannah's wedding has Joseph as a witness.      William Stretton son of John and his wife Mary born on 18 June 1784 and christened on 22 October 1784 at St Mary's Little Wakering.  George the son of William Stretton and wife Susannah was born 15 Feb and christened 29th May 1796. William (now spelt Stritton) married Susannah Hawkins at St Mary's on 10 Jan 1787.
Would be grateful for any info - Many Thanks - Sparham
Sparham - Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex/USA/Canada
Fellingham - Suffolk/Essex
Wakeling - Suffolk/Essex
Harvey - Suffolk/Essex
Andre - Europe, USA
Lockwood - Essex/Suffolk
Coe - Essex/Suffolk/USA
Thurlow - Suffolk
Jeffes - UK/Spain
Golding Essex/Suffolk
Mills - Norfolk
Widder - Norfolk, Suffolk, anywhere
Fison - anywhere

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WAKERING AND BARLING STRITTONS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 12 15:16 GMT (UK) »
You don't say when or who Hannah married.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline SPARHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 December 12 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paco

How stupid of me.   Here we go, Hannah married my 4 x Gt Grandfather John Harvey, born 1798 in Thundersley, Essex.  The marriage was at St Mary the Virgin  on 24 Jan 1820.  I cannot get beyond either John or Hannah.  I have been on SEAX and got the marriage details and nothing else.

Cheers
Sparham
Wakeling - Suffolk/Essex
Harvey - Suffolk/Essex
Andre - Europe, USA
Lockwood - Essex/Suffolk
Coe - Essex/Suffolk/USA
Thurlow - Suffolk
Jeffes - UK/Spain
Golding Essex/Suffolk
Mills - Norfolk
Widder - Norfolk, Suffolk, anywhere
Fison - anywhere

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Susan Burrell in the 1851 census is John's niece. Have you identified her parents' marriage? Presumably her mother was John's sister. Having her name could help find info about John -- Susan's mother's marriage certificate should name her father, for instance ... if she married post-1837, which may be unlikely ...

Susan's place of birth is given as Great Wakering which is in Rochford district. Here we are: Susannah Burrells, Rochford, June Q 1844. Rats: or Susan Burrells, Dec quarter 1844. (June registration could match March birth for age 7 in 1851, but that might be expecting too much consistency.) That certificate would name her mother (or there may be baptism records available that I'm not familiar with, being a mere dabbler in Essex to date). I don't see a likely parents' marriage post-1837.

There were five female Burrell/Burrells deaths in Rochford reg dist 1844-1851: Susan, Hannah, Mary Ann, Susannah, Sally. I wonder whether one would be Susan's mother.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 20:16 GMT (UK) »
An Ann Burrells birth was registered Dec Q 1850 in Rochford reg dist. In 1851, she too (transcribed by Ancestry as Ann Burrell, 5 months) was with an uncle, in North Shoebury: Christopher Wakeling, wife Ann.

The Burrells children can't have uncles named both Harvey and Wakeling -- they'd have to be children of the sister of one or the other of them, i.e. a Ms Harvey or a Ms Wakeling. So they must be children of a sibling of the wife in either or both of the Harvey and Wakeling households.

Lucky for us, Christopher Wakeling has a wife half his age: Ann Harvey, married Dec Q 1840 in Rochford reg dist. Oh, oops -- that Ann couldn't be aged 22 in 1851 (born in Little Wakering). Her age in 1851 has to be mistaken; in 1841, Christopher Wakeling is 33 and Anne Wakeling is 20.

So it looks like that Ann Harvey was a sister of John Harvey (Hannah Stritton's husband), and they had another sister who was married to a Mr Burrells.

And the Wakeling-Harvey marriage certificate would tell you the Harvey siblings' father's name.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline SPARHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 December 12 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your most helpful information.   I will be looking into this and will let you know how I go.

WR Sparham
Wakeling - Suffolk/Essex
Harvey - Suffolk/Essex
Andre - Europe, USA
Lockwood - Essex/Suffolk
Coe - Essex/Suffolk/USA
Thurlow - Suffolk
Jeffes - UK/Spain
Golding Essex/Suffolk
Mills - Norfolk