Author Topic: Joseph Kelly & Mary Cooney, Ballydesmond  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Rosehill132

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Kelly & Mary Cooney, Ballydesmond
« on: Sunday 16 December 12 21:59 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to do some work for my wife on her family tree but am new to Irish records (having taken years to master the Scottish one's)!

I have traced her grandparents Joseph and Mary Kelly (nee Cooney) through her mothers birth certificate from 1928.  At that stage Joseph was stationed in Ballydesmond (then named Kingwilliamstown) with the Civic Guard.  I haven't been able to trace either of their birth, death or mariage certs as yet, but my wife has an inkling that Joseph may have originated in Westmeath??

Any ides on next steps?

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Kelly & Mary Cooney, Ballydesmond
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 12 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I'd be inclined to ask the Garda museum what they can tell you of Joseph's career and origins.

http://www.policehistory.com/museum.html
Elwyn

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 December 12 13:55 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage record on www.rootsireland.ie for marriage of Joseph Kelly and Mary Cooney in Rochefortbridge, Westmeath in 1924.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline Rosehill132

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 December 12 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Agho - I've looked that one up - some additional information there but unfortunately no parents name registered for either Joseph or Mary.

I have bought credits for rootsireland.ie - does this site not allow you to view the actual certificates for the credits being spent???

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 December 12 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Rosehill132 rootsireland doesn't have the original certificates, just transcripts.
You should be able to find the civil registration certificate which would give you both father's names and occupations plus maybe a more accurate address at time of marriage. You could search for that on the Irish civil registrations on www.familysearch.org or if you have a subscription to ancestry.com or .co.uk they have civil registration too. You are looking for Mary Cooney & Joseph Kelly who both have the same page & volume number.
Alternatively, you could write to the G.R.O. in Roscommon and give them the info you have and they should locate the cert for you for a small fee.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork