Author Topic: 14 reginald square dublin 1935ish  (Read 3046 times)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
14 reginald square dublin 1935ish
« on: Monday 17 December 12 14:25 GMT (UK) »
how would i find out who was living at this address circa 1935, my grandmother died here aged 35.
though her family home was around the corner on the coombe..
im guessing she had family at reginald sq and as she had a young family living at the coombe perhaps it was in consideration for her 5 young children that she was sent to be cared for at reginald sq which would have been a small cottage...her name was mary o'brien (nee nolan)
a strange thing on her death cert was she was listed as a spinster BUT also as 'wife of a carter'..im wondering would this have been stated because of concern that the children may be taken from the grandfather.?
or perhaps they were separted before her death.?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: 14 reginald square dublin 1935ish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 12 14:32 GMT (UK) »
The 1939 Dublin City voters register shows a Benjamin & Helen Mahon at the address.

I dont think directories will help in this case, as they often dont include smaller side streets, cottages etc e.g. the Thom's 1927 listing just has the following :

Reginald Square, between Meath-St and Pimlico
   19 small houses

who is the informant on the death cert ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 December 12 14:47 GMT (UK) »
The Library on Pearse St. has more city voters registers back to 1937, but many of the earlier details are missing - 50% of 1937/38. I dont see any mention of c1935 registers.

see : http://www.dublinheritage.ie/electoral_rolls/index.htm

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 December 12 15:19 GMT (UK) »
The 1939 Dublin City voters register shows a Benjamin & Helen Mahon at the address.

I dont think directories will help in this case, as they often dont include smaller side streets, cottages etc e.g. the Thom's 1927 listing just has the following :

Reginald Square, between Meath-St and Pimlico
   19 small houses

who is the informant on the death cert ?

S.

hi shane the death cert is very hard to read as the writing on causes of death infringe onto the sect identifying the informant...one part is legible and it says widower...the name looks like nolan, if that be the case then its possible it was at her father or brothers home, im very familar with reginald square, they are only one bedroom cottages...i think her family may have been from nearby thomas court bawn 1901 census.

i carried ut a search of 1901 census and there is a mary nolan aged 10, my gran had a sister called madge, and in the 1901 census at same adress there is a margaret..so i think i may be on the right track.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 December 12 15:32 GMT (UK) »
a correction it was the 1901 census where i spotted a mary aged 1, with her sister margaret and parents...not the 1911

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 December 12 21:21 GMT (UK) »
The Library on Pearse St. has more city voters registers back to 1937, but many of the earlier details are missing - 50% of 1937/38. I dont see any mention of c1935 registers.

And the National Archive has Electoral Registers from about 1928-ish ... I think they've 1927-29 City and 1935 City .. also some County ones.

They have to be ordered up the day before, as far as I know.

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow