Author Topic: Yorkshire wedding lookup  (Read 2817 times)

Offline andyhayes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yorkshire wedding lookup
« on: Tuesday 18 December 12 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can anybody help locate parents from a yorkshire wedding in 1868.

The wedding between John Hayes b1830 to Margaret Leadley (formally Anderson) b1831

I am at a bit of a dead end with this one, John was born in Ireland any help with his fathers name would be much appreciated.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Yorkshire wedding lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 census says he was born in Limerick.

A tree on ancestry gives his father as John born 1810 but no source for that information. It also says he dies in 1884 in Whitby workhouse but notes he may not have been an inmate there, says there was an ad in the local paper (Whitby Gazette)

I guess you could look up the newspaper advert to see what it says. You could also get the marriage certificate that should confirm his father’s name.

(I did see there is a John Hayes born 1830 Waterford living at Batley, Yorkshire with a wife Margaret on the 1861 census that adds a little confusion. Don’t know where this family goes)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

For anyone who might have access to the register:

John  Hayes   DecQ 1868   Whitby   9d    821

However there's over 2 dozen possible venues listed on FreeBMD.  :-\

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I see from familysearch that there is a Chelsea Pensioners service record for a John Hayes born 1829 Limerick so that might be worth following to see if it is the same John Hayes. However I would try for the advert in the Whitby Gazette first to see if it mentions any military service or connections
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 19:45 GMT (UK) »
See this other previous posting for comments on marriage look-up:-

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,620031.10.html