Author Topic: 13 Wardlaw Place, Edinburgh  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
13 Wardlaw Place, Edinburgh
« on: Tuesday 18 December 12 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm really hoping someone can help me identify which area of Edinburgh Wardlaw Place was in in 1901 and 1911 as I'm trying to track down my relative Robert Douglas b.1872 in Newington, Edinburgh who was a Mason by trade. It could be him living at 13 Wardlaw Place in 1901 with wife Lizzie and children Catherine, George and Marjory but I cannot pin them down in 1911. There are pèople with these names and about the right age in Edinburgh in 1911 but they all seem to be in different parts of the city, so I'm stumped.  :( :-\ 

Offline Unë kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Wardlaw Place, Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Wardlaw Place is in the Gorgie area - however have you tried searching in ENGLAND for the 1911 census - eg Chorlton Lancs

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip, but the Robert Douglas with that dob living in Chorlton was born in Dumfries and a dock labourer, so not my relative. I googled Wardlaw Place and came up with Gorgie but there's no such area for Edinburgh on SP - do you know what Gorgie would come under in 1911?

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

The District number was 685, if that helps.  The population of the street in 1911 was 173.

Census districts do not correspond to BMD districts.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I've just tried googling for district 685 in Edinburgh for 1911 and someone looking for a rellie in Grindlay Street gave this ref in their post. Does this mean that Wardlaw Place was also in St Giles?

ST GILES   EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN   685/04 029/00 01

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I've just tried googling for district 685 in Edinburgh for 1911 and someone looking for a rellie in Grindlay Street gave this ref in their post. Does this mean that Wardlaw Place was also in St Giles?

No.

District 685 covers the whole of Edinburgh, but it was subdivided into various sub-districts - St Andrew, St George, St Cuthbert, St Giles, Haymarket, Morningside, Newington etc - at different times. The names and boundaries of the sub-districts changed over time.

In 1910/11 the sub-districts were
685/1 St George
685/2 St Andrew
685/3 Canongate
685/4 St Giles
685/5 Newington
685/6 Morningside

Wardlaw Place isn't in Newington or Canongate. I don't think it's in St Andrew or St Giles, but I could be wrong. I think it's either in Morningside or in St George, but not sure which.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Unë kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is an 1911 census entry for a Marjory Douglas aged 12 in the canongate, Edinburgh ref 685/03 005/00 006 with father Robert, siblings Katie, George and James (8 Queens Place) - mason.

Now when you look at it you will wonder where Lizzie went.    She died 2 December 1905 at 10 Yeaman Place, just up the road from Wardlaw Street

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh, thank you so much for that info, especially Lizzie's death (in St George) which has given me her surname. She married Robert Scott Douglas. My rellie's mother was Helen Scott, so that looks good to me!  I had been worried I'd been on the wrong track and had used up so many credits fruitlessly!!  By 1911 he had remarried.

Many, many thanks for all your help.  :D :D ;D ;D

Topìc Closed