Author Topic: Morrison - Hugh + Mary, marriage c1795  (Read 1114 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Morrison - Hugh + Mary, marriage c1795
« on: Wednesday 19 December 12 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm not very familiar with pre-registration parish records for Nottinghamshire and hope there is a resource someone has access to for old marriages.

Hugh Morrison and wife Mary lived in Hose, Leicestershire.
Mary was born in the late 1770s in Colston Bassett per censuses.

Mary and Hugh's oldest known child was baptised in Leicestershire in 1797.
So the marriage could have been in Nottinghamshire or over the border in Leicestershire.
If there is no joy in Nottinghamshire, I will ask in Leicestershire, where the marriage may more likely have been.

It could also have been a second marriage for Hugh Morrison, who was older than Mary, who may not have been the mother of that child.

All baptisms of children 1797-1818 show mother's name Mary.
The surname is sometimes spelled MORISON for the baptisms at FamilySearch. For the two earliest births the father is Henry, for the first, and Humphrey, for the second, but I am sure they are the same couple (the son of "Henry" is with the couple in a census).
But a marriage might be under one of those names, i.e. Hugh, Humphrey or Henry Morrison + Mary.

FS shows these baptisms for Marys in Colston Bassett during the right period, in case it helps:
Burrows 1776, Spencer 1777, Stains 1777, Smith 1778.

Hugh Morrison will likely be ever a mystery: he was born in "Ireland". Knowing who Mary was would at least give me a little more to tell my mum about her roots in that direction.

Many thanks to anyone who has a look -- and happy holidays to all from Canada!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline hippocollector

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morrison - Hugh + Mary, marriage c1795
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 20:48 BST (UK) »
Ive just started researching my x4 great grandparents Hugh and Mary Morrison, my line descends from daughter Mary marrying Robert Corner, Im guessing your much further ahead in your research tah  I am but am happy to share what i know on the Corner side of the family

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Morrison - Hugh + Mary, marriage c1795
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 April 21 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Cousin! Lovely to hear from you, echoing down all these years. ;)

I too come from Mary Morrison and Robert Corner, via their daughter Mary. Are we getting closer or farther apart?

I did (with some help from someone with access to parish records) sort out who Hugh's wife Mary was, a while back. Mary Burrows, I believe. I haven't really gone further back, other than her probable parents' first names.

Our Ontario premier is about to tell us what further drastic measures are now being imposed because of all the fools who won't comply with the existing ones, so I'm going to dash. If you like, send me a private message with info about your descent from Mary and Robert!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?