Author Topic: Your New RootsChat is here  (Read 68318 times)

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Your New RootsChat is here
« Reply #108 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:00 GMT (UK) »
same here Jane. o    m    g      :D

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:03 GMT (UK) »
HA! It got you :)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:10 GMT (UK) »
That's the one hulme-griff   ;D ;D ;D ;D
jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Online ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:18 GMT (UK) »
but isn't the BBC News website, or any other website, only the size you/your computer wants it to be. 

No, it's a fixed width, the same width as this site. The 'grey bits' are 'white bits' on their site.
Isn't it strange though. After years of hardware manufacturers selling us wide screens for PCs and on laptops, and websites working on a "screen width percentage" basis (i.e. an element of the website takes up - say - 80% of your screen width - whatever width that may be). Now websites (like BBC News) have started working on a fixed width, meaning the wider your screen the more of the wasted white space you see. ???

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I DO appreciate how wonderful Roots has been to me over the years and all the work that is done on our behalf.   Thank you and I am grateful for the wonderful contacts made ... BUT I am an O.F and it takes a long while for me to remember how to switch my computer on these days.  So ALL these changes without being warned, is a real shock to they system.

I wish all a Happy Christmas, and will be back, (if allowed  :-\)  after I have spent some time in a dark corner ....   

xin

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Isn't it strange though. After years of hardware manufacturers selling us wide screens for PCs and on laptops, and websites working on a "screen width percentage" basis (i.e. an element of the website takes up - say - 80% of your screen width - whatever width that may be). Now websites (like BBC News) have started working on a fixed width, meaning the wider your screen the more of the wasted white space you see.

I don't have any of these "modern gadgets" myself, but - speaking generally - I wonder if it has a lot do with the all these new phones and  tablets and kindles, that on the one hand you have the bigger and bigger monitors, but all modern websites must now also cater for "small is beautifull" too.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:29 GMT (UK) »
No, it's a fixed width, the same width as this site. The 'grey bits' are 'white bits' on their site.

Trystan - What I meant was we each view them at whatever size our screen is, or in my case, whatever size I choose to make the sites.  I've just opened the BBC news page, however the BBC name etc. stretches across the top of the screen, with no 'white bits' although I agree there are white bits in the body of the webpage but the background of the page is also white, so they are not obvious.  Perhaps if you could change the background and the sides to grey on here, people would find it easier to read the new coloured fonts on various pages.

Sorry to appear to be a pain, but there are always teething problems when things, especially computers change, and they often need tweeking.  :D

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Trystan, could we please have the yellow (or whatever colour you'd like) indicator back on the boards to show what threads we have posted in? It's not very helpful to have them all mixed in together.

I have almost 11,000 posts, 90% of them as a photo dater. Do you have any idea how many threads are simply titled "Please date photo"? ...or "Please restore"? Without the yellow indicator it's impossible to tell them apart. Also some people reply to threads that are a year old...we'd never recognize the title after that much time. It's hard enough to remember a thread title from yesterday.

The problem is especially prominent on the Photo board. I'm not going to be the only one unable to tell apart the myriad "Please restore photo" threads.

Cheers,
China

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Online ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Isn't it strange though. After years of hardware manufacturers selling us wide screens for PCs and on laptops, and websites working on a "screen width percentage" basis (i.e. an element of the website takes up - say - 80% of your screen width - whatever width that may be). Now websites (like BBC News) have started working on a fixed width, meaning the wider your screen the more of the wasted white space you see.

I don't have any of these "modern gadgets" myself, but - speaking generally - I wonder if it has a lot do with the all these new phones and  tablets and kindles, that on the one hand you have the bigger and bigger monitors, but all modern websites must now also cater for "small is beautifull" too.

Bob
I tend to agree Bob. But when the sites concerned also have a mobile version, isn't there the risk of alienating the users of "traditional" equipment. After all, there is a clue in the name - world WIDE web!  ;)